WMC dead. What's the future of HTPC?

keith_au

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith Heinrich
I built my HTPC maybe 5 years ago. After testing what was available at the time I built it around WMC and some plugins which worked well enough for me. But since then much has changed. Streaming, integrated keyboards rather than remote controls, catch up TV for a start. So now there is less emphasis (OK none at all really) on an integrated HTPC environment because using the PC as a PC from an armchair is easy.

Anyway moved to Win 10, VLC for movies, Spotify for music, NextPVR for recording fta, a browser for catch up TV and the occasional subscription for must see pay tv, all bases covered. Not looked back, not really missing WMC although it was a good thing at the time.

And despite having a NAS for media storage, streaming services means its barely used for that purpose any more.

Life goes on.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Proud to say that three years and four months after WMC was pronounced dead by zdnet, I'm still going strong with it. I keep waiting for the guide listings to die once and for all, but so far so good. I keep the PC that I use as my media hub on Windows 7 just to keep WMC.

The big change for me is that the coaxial plug on my Ceton card got damaged the last time I moved, so now I use an HD Homerun PRIME. After a few initial bumps in the road during the transition, it works well. My only complaint is that I miss the fourth tuner the Ceton card had. On the really busy nights, it means prioritizing. The flip side of that is that the limitation has helped me pare down my TV viewing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Microsoft stopped paying Rovi for new guide listings as of January 14th. My listings run through Thursday. Looks like I'm going to have to figure out EPG123 and Schedules Direct.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You get your new 7MC TV scheduling system working?

Is a 7MC system still viable, or do you need to look at updating to a Plex / Emby / Kodi DVR system? (I know they've put a lot of effort into DVR features the past few years, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of them.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Strangely enough, after four or five days without guide listings -- where I basically used 7MC like a VCR, setting a channel, start time, and end time -- the guide listings started populating again.

Will they continue to populate? Who knows. But I haven't had to investigate a new scheduling system yet.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
AppleTV has no iso nor mkv support but it will do HD in an .m4v container.
Handbrake metaX to iTunes shared library does wonders for a movie collection.
Everything else I got from its apps, HBO, Netflix, Amazon Prime. Did the HTPC long time ago like this set up much better.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan