WM8 Bassis and BF Destroyer. What's the diff?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martice, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Jan 20, 2001
    Can someone clarify what the main differences are between the WM8 Bassis unit and the BF Destroyer? They seem similar in capability but I couldn't come up with a definitive conclusion on the tradeoffs. Applications would be for subwoofer control.
    What if it gets no better than this!?!
  2. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Apr 12, 1999
    The Bassis only has 4 rotary controls per channel, I have a BFD and it's a stereo unit with 12 parametric filters per channel. More may be better at killing peaks (room modes).
    The bassis does have a rumble filter the BFD doesn't. I have not found this to be a problem for me, even with a turntable.
    The BFD does an A/D on the input then performs filtering in the digital domain then a D/A on the output, while the Basis stays in analog the whole time.
    Each channel can be set individually and differently (in case you have 2 subs).
    Each filter can be set to a bandwidth (Q) as small as 1/60 octave, great for killing those peaks.
    The BFD can also be operated from a PC through a MIDI cable connection.
    By the way, I do have a Marchand XM9-L crossover between my mains and sub, and the BFD is inserted between the xover and my sub (i.e. it's nowhere near the signal path of my mains).
    [Edited last by BruceD on November 09, 2001 at 09:01 AM]
    [Edited last by BruceD on November 09, 2001 at 09:02 AM]
    [Edited last by BruceD on November 09, 2001 at 09:04 AM]
  3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Sep 11, 2000
    The Marchand BASSIS unit and the BFD are really different animals. The BFD is a parametric EQ whereas the BASSIS is an adjustable Linkwitz Transform Circuit. The BASSIS will allow you to lower the low frequency response of a sealed enclosure by adding boost but at the same time you can adjust the Qtc of the entire system.
    So I don't think you can really compare the two. Actually, when I get my huge 18" sub built I'll use either the BASSIS unit or a custom built LT circuit strictly for my sub AND a BFD (to tame any peaks).