1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

WKRP In Cincinnati: The Complete Series Review (See Posts #218 & 356 for Info)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brian Himes, Oct 4, 2014.

1. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    The Turkey's Away episode re-aired December 13, 1980;
    here is the intro

cafink and TJSBEATLES like this.
  2. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    The voice of the 'Joan' caller sounds the same on the DVD as the source I'm using for reference. I would assume it's the original. I haven't seen the 90s syndication version so I couldn't tell you. She sounded rather meek to me.

As for getting clearance for Gershwin, I really have no idea how difficult it is to clear.

3. Doris2k

Doris2k Stunt Coordinator

Doris
    I think that's precisely what happened. They pulled the masters from the library and checked for music licensing. Who knew that there were two versions with different endings floating around? Weird (and cool).

4. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Second Unit

Considering how fiercely the Gershwin heirs fought to keep their copyrights, I assume they want to make as much bank off them as possible.

5. classictvfan40

classictvfan40 Second Unit

Ron
    Brian thanks for all the info about each episode on the dvds....I placed my order today and can't wait to get my copy. Until then I will watch the some edited and some not episodes of season 1 on Hulu.

6. kentmccord

kentmccord Auditioning

kent
    Fact is SHOUT only lincensed these songs and the show for 5 years or less.

Also the fact is SHOUT SHOULD HAVE HAS A HIGHER MSRP THAN 139.99, it SHOULD HAVE BEEN 179.99 or so SO THEY WOULD HAVE HAD THE $$$ for the complete songs & would not have ruined the show by edited scenes out of the show.

Also SHOUT did not have WKRP uber fans / experts working with them on the set. O what could have been IF SHOUT had done it right, 95% is not good enough

This show caters to a smaller audience than the modern day garbage and we have wanted the show 100% intact for years, yet SHOUT makes this a budget release, would have paid 179.99 or more, so SHOUT cheats consumers AGAIN... ala HAZEL using 30 year old videotape elements to release a filmed show like HAZEL

ALSO calling WKRP the complete series is BULL - it is not complete.

ALL you people patting SHOUT on the back should be ashamed of yourselves, this set is a failure to what fans deserve, excepting anything less than 100% episodes as ORIGNALLY aired is pathetic. It is pathetic what people except today, excepting less than 100% work just leads companies to say ok, we can rip consumers and they will still except it.

Also you wonder how SHOUT could afford songs couldnt, not cause of the 7 years since released, but because SHOUT licenses them for a limited time, BUT SHOUT was too cheap to do 100% and charge more for the set, when they would have sold even more than they are now cause of the edits and rela fans of the show would have paid the extra $$$ to get it complete, not this edited mess.

7. classictvfan40

Ron
    Ummm...not even Time Life could get all the music for the Wonder Years and they are charging 4 times for what this WKRP is going for...yes they have more interviews...but the extras like the bag etc...are pointless and cheap ...and then to charge us the consumer almost 400 hundred bucks...ummm..nope...i am going the individual set rout on WY.

8. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Second Unit

I highly doubt 100% of that music was available for licensing at any price.

I'm pretty sure Shout would have lost their shirts if they tried to charge $180 for this set, even with all the music intact. They couldn't make a profit exclusively by selling the set to well-heeled superfans of a middling-rated show that ended 32 years ago.

I'm disappointed by some of the missing music... but not nearly as disappointed as I expected to be.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

C'mon, I'm sure he has detailed information on Shout's budget, the point where they'd break even with the set, the cost of the songs involved. If not, he'd just be some guy spouting off about things that he has no clue about and that's a rarity on the internet.

10. strangeways

strangeways Auditioning

Gene

11. classictvfan40

Ron
    I was wondering the same thing...what about the picture quality of the episodes??

12. Obtuse

Obtuse Stunt Coordinator

Rob
    All in all, Shout! did an admirable job. With current copyright laws, a 100% complete set would be impossible. Period.

The vitriol about not getting a "perfect" set should be directed there, or perhaps at MTM, for not being clairvoyant, and failing to license the music for a DVD/home video market that would not exist for another 20 years.

Even if Shout! Factory charged $200 per set, there is absolutely no way they could recoup the $100K+ it may cost just for a bit of incidental Beatles music. The missing Eagles and Pink Floyd were likely the result of a flat out "no" from the rights holders. Denied...you can't have it. End of story. Not Shout's fault.

It's clear they did everything they could to license as much as they could, and still offer the set at a realistic price. They certainly have exceeded my expectations. The only truly detrimental omission (for me) was the reportedly "unobtainable for home video" Pink Floyd track (from a scene which, incidentally, is available on both an official VHS release and in syndication, should one wish to see it in it's original form).

Let's not forget we are also getting full-length episodes, with some material that hasn't been seen since 1979-1982. More complete than the 80's syndication runs where most people discovered the show, and even those (gasp!) had music substitutions and edits.

This set is far from "an edited mess"....especially once you actually watch the DVDs, then you realize how minor the bulk of the music changes actually are (and how the vast majority of the memorable music cues were retained).

Of course, people are certainly free to wait for another company to release the "100% complete" WKRP. Maybe Pink Floyd will enter the public domain in the 2040's......

cmoxie, TJSBEATLES and Ron1973 like this.
  13. spartandrew15

Andrew
    Because the Happy Days season 5 DVD included "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" (albeit a cover version), I thought that Shout could have restored that song and original dialogue for this DVD. Turns out not. Either "We've Only Just Begun" is less expensive, or Fox simply did not have the original soundtrack of that episode. (But if long-lost WKRP originals like the full length "Hoodlum Rock", "Daydreams", and "Baseball" and the original caller's voice in "Ask Jennifer" could be recovered...why not the original "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" cue?)

Weinman commented in his original list of WKRP music changes: "Why this change was made is beyond me; it can't be a money issue, since the Carpenters would presumably be more expensive to license than a song by Lerner and Loewe."

Things must have changed real quick between 1979 and whenever MTM edited the song out. Perhaps the MTM syndication division felt that the "Thank Heaven" joke was no longer funny in the wake of topics like day care Satanic abuse panic or "stranger danger" making the headlines/public discourse.

For "Mike Fright": The Sports ("Who Listens to the Radio") are an Australian band that's been inactive for over 30 years. Wonder if they even do licensing anymore.

14. strangeways

strangeways Auditioning

Gene
    When I compare the two sets (FOX vs SHOUT) I can only compare the first season of course, but it seems that the FOX version is a better picture. The bit rate is higher on the Fox set but I don't know if that is a true indicator or not.

15. johnnyelectron

Johnny Fever
    From what I've read, they've done a pretty decent job of getting us as close as we're ever going to get for our favorite TV show on DVD. I read today that Time-Life charged more for the 1st season of the Wonder Years, and it's like only 8 shows, not 20-something? That's big bucks. I say a big "Thank You" to Shout! as I didn't ever think we'd get this much after Fox dropped the ball the last time around and gave-up - you even see the 1st season of WKRP in the racks at the Cracker Barrell stores!
    So, I'm going to ask Santa to bring me WKRP for Christmas as it seems to be enough to wet my appetite.

16. kentmccord

kentmccord Auditioning

kent
    LOL, you have no clue, TIME LIFE / STAR VISTA paid for therights to their songs to license them on the dvd sets and season sets for 10- years

SHOUT has lincensed the songs for WKRP for 3 years or less, so rights for WKRP would be alot cheaper of the songs

That is why FOX could not do this set, cause when they license dongs for dvd they do it in perpetuity, SHOUT does it for a very limited time which greatly cuts the price down, SO IF SHOUT had upped the MSRP by as much as 40 bucks (so retail would have been 125.99 or 31.50 per season) and we could have 100% complete

17. classictvfan40

Ron
    Its only 6 episodes at 12 dollars for that season if u buy it separately....There is a 3 season pack too but its way too much still...

18. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    hi brian,

i have not read much of the thread, since i no nothing about the show.

are you guys reasonably satisfied with the release ?

19. spartandrew15

Andrew
    Multiple reasons. One, even generic music composed specifically for the show - in this case the theme music for Real Families (the parody of Real People in "Real Families" episode) - needs to be licensed. Maybe MTM/Fox lost track of whoever composed the music. That's a similar problem that CBS faced when putting The Fugitive and My Three Sons to DVD, since musical cues from those shows came from Capitol Music Library, whose ownership became disputed in the 2000s. Also, WKRP didn't have separate music and dialogue tracks, so with the music goes Johnny Olson's announcement. And even if the generic music could be licensed, I wonder how much Olson's estate would've demanded for licensing his likeness for DVD.

20. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Folks, I'm sorry if I haven't been reporting on picture quality and sound quality or any other of the usual aspects of a DVD review. That was not my purpose. I wanted to report on the issues that have been discussed here and in other threads regarding WKRP. The most important things people wanted to know about was the running time of each episode. Is Shout using only original broadcast length episodes? Was all of the original music intact? If music was substituted, was it done seamlessly so as to preserve the original dialogue? Was any of the bad overdubbing used and if so how much and was it noticeable? Finally, if the original music was edited out of the scene was there any edits to the original dialogue or was the scene edited in any other way to remove the music? In past discussions these things were what people wanted to know about before buying this set. I chose to blindly buy the set and pick it apart piece by piece and report on what I found as compared to the original unedited version of the show so people could make that more informed purchase. I'm sorry if that wasn't made more clear in my first post. The things listed here are the only aspects of the set that I am concentrating on. If the picture or sound quality was something that really stood out or if I happened to notice it, I did try to report it. If anyone else who has the set wants to comment on the picture and sound quality, packaging or any other of the usual DVD review topics, please feel free to chime in.

Tony Bensley likes this.