What's new

WKRP In Cincinnati: The Complete Series Review (See Posts #218 & 356 for Info) (2 Viewers)

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
Obtuse said:
I'll add some from S2, Disc 3:

The Americanization Of Ivan: No music edits (all instances of "Tiny Dancer" present). Running Time 24:55.

Les' Groupie: No music edits. Johnny Mathis-"Chances Are" present (both the recording and Les' singing). Running Time 24:56.

In Concert: Slightly trimmed at beginning (part of The Pretenders "The Wait"). The Rolling Stones "Sympathy For The Devil" replaced (obscured by generic music, over what sounds like original dialog...can hear a little Mick Jagger under Bailey's voice). Bill Evans "Remembering The Rain" is there. Running Time 24:57.

Looks like they could clear some Rolling Stones material, but not all.....
Just wanted to say the amount of knowledge about the show you folks have, especially Brian and Jaime, is impressive. As a casual fan who watched it back in the day, I am learning a lot.

And as a casual fan, I'll state the obvious that it's great to hear Elton John was cleared in 'Americanization.' Episode makes little sense without 'Tiny Dancer,' and news like that makes me consider getting it at some point. Thanks to everyone for their hard work in going through the episodes.

Desdinova

Agent
Real Name
Scott
Loving the thread and especially all the shortcuts for when it becomes time to compile and edit as complete a version as possible... :)

I did notice what seems a misidentification on one of the music cues. In Real Families, the music playing during Bailey's interview has been referenced as originally being She's So Cold by the Rolling Stones, but my older broadcast copy has That Girl Could Sing by Jackson Browne which is the same track in the Shout version. I also REALLY like the Google doc spreadsheet that is in progress and it also lists the Stones but makes no mention of Jackson Browne.

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
You know... I can understand them having to do dubs occasionally, what with the challenges of replacing music on a video source without separate audio tracks. But there's just no excuse not to get convincing sound-alikes to do it. That's the only thing about all this that really irritates me.

Having a bad overdub in the scene where Andy freaks out about Johnny finally playing a hit... well, that's just unfortunate.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With our reviewer most of the way through season 2, there seems to be little to complain about.The list of cleared artists gave us an idea of what would be missing, the episodes are uncut, for the most part, and edits have been limited to brief lines of dialogue and a few bad voice replacements.Unless something is majorly screwed up with the final two seasons, I can actually see picking thi set up when it's released wide at the end of the month.

TJSBEATLES

Agent
Real Name
T.J.
Hi everyone - just signed up after following the WKRP reviews for the last few days. Like many of you, this is my favorite show. I have them in decent quality from VHS on WGN in the early 1990's (before music substitutions), when I first got into the show. (I was a baby when it aired on CBS.) Also like you, I have one or two "unauthorized" DVD sets, the VHS boxed set and the individual VHS releases, and that horrifying Fox DVD S1 set from 07. Needless to say, I have been counting down the days for this release for months. (I am on a business trip, and won't be home to watch the set, which I pre-ordered from Shout, until Friday night.)

My long winded point? Thanks to those of you giving such detailed, thoughtful, informed reviews, and thanks too to those of you asking such great questions. I'm horrified by a few of the changes (the voice overs, in particular, seem as egregious as the syndication/FOX cuts). And while there was no way Shout could clear "Dogs", it's quite sad that one of the more legendary sit-com episodes in TV history will never quite be the same. (Side note: with all due respect, I've never quite understood those who say "the music doesn't matter". G-d bless 'em, but it's a really misguided statement.)

I'll keep reading the updates until I get the set, and will probably post my thoughts for fellow WKRP-geeks at that time. In the meantime, thanks to all of you for keeping me salivating in a hotel room, knowing that beautiful 13 disc box is waiting for me at home. (My wife opened the packaging and said the box is gorgeous...)
-T.J.

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
I'm still getting the set, despite my disappointment at the redubbing issues. There are a lot of pristine episodes on here, and quite a few more that have annoying but minor edits. Still, there are a few episodes where I expect I'll be sticking with what I already have (episodes with no music cuts but time cuts for syndication).

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Obtuse said:
In those cases where the original dialogue is intact, you can often hear remnants of the original track underneath.Sounds like they basically cut out the uncleared music around the spoken lines, then put new music over the scenes.
That's how I wish they'd always do it on problematic songs, whenever it's doable.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Jaime_Weinman said:
To show you how funny licensing can be: in the '90s syndication package, "Rock around the Clock" is cut in this final scene and Johnny's daughter's voice is overdubbed, but the Eagles are intact. Now "Rock Around the Clock" is back (according to someone else I asked about this scene; I don't have my copy yet) but they couldn't get the Eagles. (This is not a criticism, just a statement that what you can or can't get seems to change over the years, or maybe even weeks.)
It's crazy that because of this, we'll probably never see a completely uncut release due to rights changing/switching.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I did like this show quite a bit, and I understand the legalities involved, however, with the edits, substitutions... I can't get behind this set. It's not the show I remember and I find this rewrite of TV history to be a bit... well, Orwellian, regardless of the reasons. Oh well, it is what it is and I will continue to read this thread to see more information as it surfaces. Perhaps down the road, if this set becomes much cheaper, I will add it to the library.

Obtuse

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Desdinova said:
Loving the thread and especially all the shortcuts for when it becomes time to compile and edit as complete a version as possible... :)

I did notice what seems a misidentification on one of the music cues. In Real Families, the music playing during Bailey's interview has been referenced as originally being She's So Cold by the Rolling Stones, but my older broadcast copy has That Girl Could Sing by Jackson Browne which is the same track in the Shout version. I also REALLY like the Google doc spreadsheet that is in progress and it also lists the Stones but makes no mention of Jackson Browne.
"She's So Cold" can be heard here, at about 2:30 in (While Bailey talks about the "dancing ducks" promotion).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4l2ef_real-families-part-3

It's possible The Stones were replaced with Jackson Browne sometime during the 80's syndication run (as The Beach Boys "Surfin' USA" was).

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
I suspect that when Shout was budgeting their music licensing money for this set, they may have given some preference to season 1 because that's where most of the "classic" episodes are.

Doris2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doris
Obtuse said:
In Concert: Slightly trimmed at beginning (part of The Pretenders "The Wait"). ... Running Time 24:57.
Thanks for the updates. Are you sure In Concert was trimmed? I don't see how, as the running time matches the longest running time of other complete episodes.

Doris2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doris
Desdinova said:
This. Yes indeed. It's beginning to look like a truly complete collection is now obtainable for anyone who enjoys editing. And an unforeseen bonus is that we now have an alternate version of The Contest Nobody Could Win. Happy!

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
Any edited version I made would look pretty jarring... crystal clear master tape-sourced episodes spliced with scenes burned to DVD from washed-out, fluttery homemade VHS tapes from (I believe) the late 80's.

The results would be pretty psychedelic, to put it charitably.

Obtuse

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Doris2k said:
Thanks for the updates. Are you sure In Concert was trimmed? I don't see how, as the running time matches the longest running time of other complete episodes.
Now that I've taken another look.....it seems to be complete. Original post edited to reflect this.

Here's another:

Filthy Pictures: Presented here in it's original (not split in two for syndication) form. No cuts (no music in this one). Running Time 48:54.

Contains footage (the break-in scene) probably not seen since the CBS airing. IIRC, the old VHS release was the split syndication version.

On edit...episode includes Bonnie Raitt's "Runaway".

Skywalker79

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
Obtuse said:
Now that I've taken another look.....it seems to be complete. Original post edited to reflect this.

Here's another:

Filthy Pictures: Presented here in it's original (not split in two for syndication) form. No cuts (no music in this one). Running Time 48:54.

Contains footage (the break-in scene) probably not seen since the CBS airing. IIRC, the old VHS release was the split syndication version.
"Runaway" by Bonnie Raitt was played in the first part of that episode so that's another music edit if there is no music in there.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ok, here is the rundown of the final season 2 episodes and everything that I found (or didn't find as the case maybe).

The Americanization Of Ivan: No music edits. All of the references to Elton John's Tiny Dancer (and the song itself) are present. Running time: 24:55.

Les's Groupie: No Music edits. Johnny Mathis Chances Are is there as well as Les singing Chances Are. Running time: 24:55.

In Concert: There is a very, very small edit in the opening. The opening shot of what looks like the empty booth is not there. Instead the scene opens with Johnny flying to the microphone just as the song ends. I guess they could only use a small portion of The Pretenders song The Wait. There are just about 3 or 4 seconds edited. Also, The Rolling Stones Sympathy For The Devil has been replaced but the original dialogue over the song has been salvaged. No overdubbing. Bill Evans Remembering The Rain is there. Running time: 24:55.

The Doctor's Daughter: Well, the Eagles The Long Run is missing, It has been substituted by a generic song that kind of has the same feel and beat to match Johnny head bobbing movements. Andy's voice is redubbed as is Laurie's voice over while Johnny read her letter. In fact, Laurie's overdubbed voice begins at the beginning of the scene where Bill Haley and The Comets Rock Around The Clock is heard. Bill Haley is there. Running time: 24:35. The bumper before the tag scene is there.

I'm kind of surprised that the Eagles are gone, but not too surprised. Someone here said that the recent lawsuit with Don Felder is the reason for the song not being there. Oh well. I don't like it, but there isn't much I can do about it.

Filthy Pictures: No music edits. Bonnie Raitt is there. This is the original hour long version and not the two part version that has been aired for years. Running time: 48:53. There is a bumper in the middle of the episode as it originally aired.

Venus Rising: No music edits. Running time: 25:00. The bumper before the tag scene is there.

Most Improved Station: There is a tiny music edit (believe me this is quite petty if you ask me). The next morning after the awards, when Johnny takes off his headphones, the original music heard has been replaced. Now, I tried and tried to identify the song and I had no luck at all. You really can't make out just what it is. Johnny's line about the tux not going back until six is still there and it has not been overdubbed. However, the music is now much louder and it just about covers up the line about the tux. To me, removing this very tiny, practically unclear bit of music is really nitpicking. It really brings this whole music licensing issue to light. To have to remove something that no one can even understand is going too far. I mean really. Without looking at what ever paperwork exists showing what songs were used where, could anyone even figure out what the song really is? I seriously doubt it. Running time: 24:57.

Well, there is the last of season 2. Things seem to be pretty much like season 1. The Eagles song missing is the big bummer of the season. The two instances where Venus's voice has been overdubbed are also slight letdowns. Overall, Shout has done a really good job of preserving the integrity of the season. Off to start season 3.

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
Brian Himes said:
To me, removing this very tiny, practically unclear bit of music is really nitpicking. It really brings this whole music licensing issue to light. To have to remove something that no one can even understand is going too far. I mean really. Without looking at what ever paperwork exists showing what songs were used where, could anyone even figure out what the song really is? I seriously doubt it. Running time: 24:57.
Which begs the question... why did the show's producers pay in the first place to license a genuine song that nobody would even be able to identify or understand in the broadcast?

If the song is physically present in the episode, it has to be licensed and paid for. It just doesn't seem to make much sense to me why it was there in the first place.

Obtuse

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Skywalker79 said:
"Runaway" by Bonnie Raitt was played in the first part of that episode so that's another music edit if there is no music in there.
Bonnie Raitt was present as well.

Also of note on "Venus Rising"...The Flying Lizards "Money" is included (artist listed erroneously as "Flying" on Shout's official list).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks