1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

WKRP In Cincinnati: The Complete Series Review (See Posts #218 & 356 for Info)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brian Himes, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Actually, I think somewhere in the previous 800+ posted it was mentioned. It's been so long ago that I can't remember. It must have been brought up because my WKRP documents have it listed as being replaced/missing. It comes just before Mrs. Carlson sings Someone To Watch Over Me. We were probably unable to edit the post after a few days so it never got put into the proper list/post.

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    In a world where people are afraid to laugh at anything anymore, it's nice to see this thread still has traction.

Ron1973 likes this.
  3. The Floyd.

The Floyd. Auditioning

Dale
    I actually DID fix that song already - the ones I'd listed are the only ones left to get replaced because I didn't have an original source to build from - but that Ry Cooder song, i actually had that on a bootleg set I previously owned, and edited it back into the Shout version.... so that one's all good! Actually, they're ALL fixed now - I found sources for those missing pieces, and now have the completely restored series!!!

Ron1973 likes this.
  4. The Floyd.

The Floyd. Auditioning

Dale
    Aaaaaaannnnd...... I'M DONE.
    Pet-Project = COMPLETE.
    The complete series - I have every bit of music & audio, and edited in the missing video bits - I'm a radio/tv producer, so I was also able to make my bootleg video bits match the crispy clean Shout! set really nice! Any little video edits are mostly unnoticeable. Made all edits and cuts right at camera-changes, so nothing abrupt or jarring. I HAVE THE SET, with plenty of cool, rare extras! Just reply or email me for details and I'll get'cha the COMPLETE SERIES as it was always meant to be seen, the version we've ALL been clamoring for. email: [email protected]

bmasters9 and Tony Bensley like this.
  5. Message #905 of 910 May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    lj01

lj01 Agent

Lyle
    After a few years, I've been getting back into this, and re-reading this thread which brought back some great nostalgic memories of...late 2014.

Anyway, in digging into this a little more, I did want to share that I think I might have a plausible explanation for "The Contest" redo. I noticed that, if one combines the uncut Shout first act with the presumably uncut (though music changed) Fox second act+tag+final theme, that the total time is 24:06, which is consistent with the 8:30 ET time slot episodes. Although WKRP vacillated between the 8:00 ET and 9:30 ET timeslot in S1, there was one episode which aired on 1/29/79 ("The Contest") in the 8:30 ET timeslot (I believe those episodes airing at that time were shortened by a minute for CBS newsbreak at top of the 9:00 hour). So, my final thesis in all this is that somewhere between the initial filming and airing, it was determined that it had to be cut by a minute because of this - and for some reason (instead of trimming the episode) it was re-written and re-filmed. Why that would happen I don't know, but it sort of makes sense.

As far as I can tell, "The Contest" was never re-run on CBS, so I would guess that the Shout version never actually aired.

Ron1973 and Tony Bensley like this.
  6. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    The FOX set has a different version of that episode? I might have to pick it up and check it out.

Anything else of interest there such as perhaps an episode that FOX somehow slipped up during the butchering process and managed to do a better job of presenting it on DVD than Shout Factory did?

7. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    Actor problem / dispute?

8. Message #908 of 910 May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Somewhere back in this thread there was an answer from Shout Factory as to why their version of the episode is on the set and not the more familiar/syndicated version. From what I remember, the Shout version is the one that originally aired (I believe someone even managed to find evidence of this via an old TV Guide listing) but only aired that one time. I believe that this was the last episode that aired just before CBS put the show on hiatus and retooled the format just a bit. When the Fox/syndicated version first aired has never been discovered. Given the cost to re-film versus editing, re-filming the episode to add room for a Newsbreak seems a little impractical. Something else must have happened to alter the episode. I believe that it is more likely that The Contest was the first episode to air again after the hiatus (thus making it a re-run) so it was re-written and re-filmed because it didn't work as well as the new version. Therefore making it more in line with the new direction the series was heading. The audience wouldn't know the difference because the show had been off the air for a while.

No. The Shout Factory versions of the season 1 episodes are far and above the Fox butchered versions. They are longer and there is less missing footage/song edits.

9. The Floyd.

The Floyd. Auditioning

Dale
    Hey there!
    Yes, the Shout! set is as good as it gets, commercially - so when it came out, and I found several music/episode guides showing what you found - that about 33 episodes still needed some restore work, I took it upon myself to DO IT.
    I'm a former radio DJ/Producer and now a TV news producer, so I figured I have skills, and all the tools at hand to do it, just need to track down all the missing pieces and edit them back in!! I already had a decent bootleg set of the series with most of the music, but still came across some hard-to-find bits and pieces. I've joined FB groups and replied on blog sites like this, and I believe I NOW HAVE it ALL!!
    I have a 17-dvd set of every episode plus a bonus disc of some cool, rare extras, in nice cases and covers.... but before I unleash it and make it fully available, I need to know THREE small details: in S1E3 Les On A Ledge: did Herb ever actually SAY the word "homo", or was it edited from the get-go? I've seen comments saying it was edited for syndication, but out of ALL the collectors I've spoken to and heard from, they all have first-run tapes and claim it's always "gay", and "homo" never made it to air..... TRUE, or NAH?
    2nd: in S1E14 Johnny Comes Back. is there any recording in existence of Johnny saying "Jive-Ass", or was it only aired silenced out for comedic effect? (this one is likely just the way it is)...
    3rd: On all music lists I've worked off of to do all my restore work, I always see S3E12 Venus & The Man had a clip of John Lennon's "Remember" when Travis, Bailey & Carlson walk into Travis' office, and he turns the wall-speaker down. Again, all my collector friends with multiple versions of the whole series on tape & dvd claim that it may either be a mistake on the list or it's only available as-is..... anyone know?
    If those 3 fixes are unfixable, then I DO INDEED have the entire series completely restored with all original music and cut scenes!!
    Hit me up if interested! ([email protected])

10. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    As far as I know, the Les On A Ledge episode never had the word 'homo' in it. That topic was bantered back and forth and if you read Herb's lips it looks like he was saying 'homo' but it was edited over to say gay. If I remember correctly, it was finally decided that this was edited from the get go and never aired with the word 'homo'. While it would have been completely in character for Herb to have used that word, I think the creative team decided to be a bit more PC about it.

My list does indeed show that Remember was in the Venus & The Man episode and it was edited out. Jaime Weinman's blog doesn't mention it and he claims he's using an original off the air recording from 1981 (when the episode first aired). So, this might be an error on our lists. I tried to rewatch the episode on the blog and was unable to do so. The link doesn't work anymore. It did when I first worked on the Shout set since I used it as a reference guide.

The Jive Ass comment is the first I've heard of this. However, I seriously doubt that the network censors in 1978 would allow the word 'ass' to air in a prime time sitcom.

Those are my takes on the questions you asked. At this point, I'd say you have a complete version of the series.

P.S. I did send you and email. Did you get it?