1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

WKRP In Cincinnati: The Complete Series Review (See Posts #218 & 356 for Info)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brian Himes, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Doris2k

Doris2k Stunt Coordinator

Doris
    I have just learned that the aforementioned recording of Les on a Ledge is from the East coast feed (WBBM in Chicago), as originally broadcast. It is now a virtual certainty that the "homo" version never aired anywhere.

Hasslein likes this.
  2. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    Watched "Les on a Ledge" last night and I have to say I was impressed that they would tackle that topic on only the third episode. Of course I had seen it before, but since I am watching this set in order, it struck me as pretty bold right out of the gate.

I was also impressed with the lighting. The ledge sequences really looked like they were outdoors. The lighting director did a great job. I popped in the copy I had recorded from Nick at Night years ago to compare and the quality wasn't good enough to really see that change in lighting.

Doris2k likes this.
  3. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    I remember thinking the same thing... it seemed early to be going there. But it was a good episode.

Anyway, just finished watching Sparky. That Venus overdub at the beginning of Sparky's show may have been the worst overdub in the history of overdubs. I could forgive MTM/Fox whoever if there had been some attempt made to get someone who sounded like Venus. But it literally does sound like they pulled someone out of the mailroom and told him to read the lines.

The only way it could have been more out of place is if they had gotten a woman to read the line.

AndrewCrossett, Ron1973 and Hasslein like this.
  4. Hasslein

Hasslein Second Unit

Jim
    I think the best option was with no music substitution, like they did on An Explosive Affair... I know that wasn't always possible....

5. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Second Unit

I almost wish they had. At least then it would have been good for a laugh.

6. spartandrew15

Andrew
    Hmm. So Shout was able to clear the Star Wars theme (and Patton theme also as confirmed elsewhere here) but not Thank Heaven for Little Girls?I would speculate that rights holders for music originally recorded for film would want the music not associated with other media. Patton and Star Wars are both Fox films, and MTM is now a Fox property, so it must've been easier to clear music from other Fox films than from MGM's Gigi. Or John Williams was confident enough that viewers would recognize the Star Wars theme for what it is, while MGM was concerned about "Thank Heaven for Little GIrls" being misinterpreted?

7. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

I also watched the extras. The Paley reunion was a bit underwhelming. Too bad the whole cast (sans Gordon Jump, of course) couldn't be there. The recent interview with Gary Sandy was a nice addition.What did Gary have to say? There was a time before the Internet, I thought he had passed away?What "extra" did his interview come out on? I didn't see Gary Sandy interview on the extra list?James

8. Doris2k

Doris
    As the alternate version of "The Contest Nobody Could Win" slipped by them, I think it's very possible that "We've Only Just Begun" was on the program master reel of Patter of Little Feet, and Shout! simply didn't know that it wasn't the original track. (It was one of the earliest replacements).

9. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Second Unit

When was the Chevalier song originally replaced? If it was in the 90's, it's possible Pepsi had an exclusive license for it at the time. They were using it in a commercial campaign.

And yes, it's also possible there might have been worry about it being misinterpreted as a reference to pedophilia.

I'm pretty sure the song was licensed for the Saturday Night Live DVD sets, in the episode where Hugh Hefner sings it. So the song must be available... either the Chevalier version itself is off limits, or it was too expensive, or Shout didn't realize it was a replaced song.

Doris2k likes this.
  10. Doris2k

Doris
    It was replaced in the very first 1980's syndication run.

11. Hasslein

Hasslein Second Unit

Jim
    Tonight's rerun of Family Guy (which I had missed the first time) had a bit of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb, so the stories of Pink Floyd not licensing their music anymore are not true. Dogs must have been a question of $.

12. Hasslein

Hasslein Second Unit

Jim
    [​IMG]

This is the LP Bailey holds up in Most Improved Station, none of the songs sound like what Johnny is singing with the headphones on, but I could be wrong....

derosa likes this.
  13. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Yep. Right along with The Beatles, Hendrix and some of the Stones songs.

14. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    That's at least the 4th reference, someone on the show must have been a big Van Morrison fan! There is of course the scene with Johnny rocking out in the DJ booth to "caravan" from the Moondance album, and also posters of "wavelength" and later "into the music" inside the booth.

[​IMG]

15. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Just for speculation, I wonder if the music rights would have expired if someone else had bought MTM Productions before the people Fox bought it from bought it*. They let the music rights on a lot of shows expire, and IIRC all the music cuts to the masters used on The Mary Tyler Moore Show box sets were done during this period, too.

*Mary Tyler Moore sold it to TVS—who apparently mismanaged it horribly—in 1988; TVS sold it to International Family Entertainment in what was basically a fire sale in 1993, then IFE got bought out by News Corporation who turned The Family Channel into Fox Family; they sold Fox Family to Disney who made it ABC Family while keeping the MTM library for themselves.

16. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Think what you will but as one who watched this show originally, I remember quite well since it was a rather topical episode. In an era with three networks, two independent stations and one public channel, the choices to watch weren't that many and the season's episodes were always re-run over the summer. So some TV shows stuck well with me since then. Since herb says gay later on, it wasn't difficult for the editors to take his utterance of gay from one line and over dub homo.

In any event it doesn't matter as it is what it is. Think what you will.

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Obviously, I can't vouch for the recording of the original episode but memory can be a funny thing especially when it's of something as inconsequential as a TV show from more than 3 decades ago. I remember lines or images from TV shows or movies that I've gone back to look at and my memory- which I would have sworn on a stack of bibles to be accurate- is wrong.

I haven't seen the tape and even if I did, I don't know the origin of it (maybe it's not from the original airing or maybe there is no tape and the guy is lying*) so I'm not saying that you're wrong but people can't take your memory as definitive proof either especially when there's a tape purporting to be of the original airing.

* I'm NOT saying that anyone is lying, I'm just trying to look at all possibilities.

Doris2k likes this.
  18. Hasslein

Hasslein Second Unit

Jim
    The same thing crossed my mind... He is everywhere in the show... Based on the Caravan scene I bet Hessman was a big fan...

derosa likes this.
  19. Doris2k

Doris
    As someone who hasn't actually seen the original broadcast tape, but has no reason whatsoever to distrust the person who has seen it, and as someone who has heard your recollection of seeing something different on the same broadcast, and has no reason whatsoever to distrust you, I'm glad I'm not an attorney. This would be a difficult case. :huh:

Are you saying the "homo" word survived through the summer reruns as well? That's even harder to imagine. Then again, I'm not sure why I even care. Maybe I need to get out more. :)

Mike Frezon likes this.
  20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Ah, yes. That little thing known as "perspective." Often unforgotten in the realm of fanatics. :D

Doris2k likes this.