What's new

WKRP In Cincinnati: The Complete Series Review (See Posts #218 & 356 for Info) (1 Viewer)

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
It's been kind of played down here, but one of the biggest losses (to me more so than the Long Run) is Barry Manilow's Old Songs... Johnny's reaction to it is hilarious, that's one of the first audio dubs on my list....

jeffyoungct

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Young
My Overstock.com pre-order arrived today, Monday, one day before the street date.

I went directly to The Contest Nobody Could Win. I agree with the prior assessment on this forum that the original (?) ending to this episode was a little flat in comparison to the familiar syndicated one with Vincent Schiavelli.

I was ready to point out a continuity error that I saw in the syndicated version; but, the same error is in both versions! [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Herb's outfit changes from a flat blue jacket with a yellow sweater, to a textured blue jacket without a sweater, between the "dungarees vs. the suits" scene in Andy's office and the following scene in Carlson's office.[/SIZE]

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Doris2k said:
By the way, that episode, with "Thank Heaven" intact, is on YouTube right now for anyone wanting a pretty nice copy of the audio.
So is Sparky, for Bob Marley & Venus dialog

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
jeffyoungct said:
I agree with the prior assessment on this forum that the original (?) ending to this episode was a little flat in comparison to the familiar syndicated one with Vincent Schiavelli.
I think both version shave their merits.

I like the tag scene in the DVD version where Johnny says that 'red bikinis with the day of the week printed on them and white boxers with little blue sail boats is wrong' is hilarious. Much better than the tag scene with Lotta Love playing while Johnny announces the next contest.

As a side note, given Johnny's twisted sense of humor, the contest is probably rigged. He's not wearing any.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Stacia J said:
I'm going off memories of what someone said on a Usenet group in the 1990s, but wasn't the word "homo" changed to "gay" before the episode ever aired? I am pretty sure it was dubbed as "gay" in the 1980s when I saw the show in reruns, and definitely by 1991 because that's the date of my old VHS copies of the show. In about 1993, someone told me the dubbing was a post-production standards & practices issue, but I have absolutely no idea who told me, or if they even knew what they were talking about.

It makes a kind of sense either way -- Herb had made some crack about a "HOMO-sexual" but then Jennifer corrected him and said the term was "gay," and he was trying to impress Jennifer, so I could see either word working. But yes, you can tell it's dubbed, even if the voice does sound like Frank Bonner's, just louder and rushed to fit.
IMO, that is Frank Bonner's voice doing the dubbing. So it would have had to have been dubbed at some point during the original run, no?

/set arrived in the mail. Just finished Les on a Ledge. Remembered this conversation.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Moore Maxx said:
Whats a Costco membership cost? Do they have one day memberships?
I don't have one. I just asked a guy in the store if he'd use his card for me. No problem...

Edit: No I'm not a hot chick... :lol:

Doris2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doris
The Obsolete Man said:
IMO, that is Frank Bonner's voice doing the dubbing. So it would have had to have been dubbed at some point during the original run, no?

/set arrived in the mail. Just finished Les on a Ledge. Remembered this conversation.
Not necessarily. If he said "gay" or even "gain" anywhere in the entire series, it could be inserted at any time. I do know that the dubbing is on the early syndicated versions. Does anybody know if it was done prior to the original CBS airdate?

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Hasslein said:
I don't have one. I just asked a guy in the store if he'd use his card for me. No problem...

Edit: No I'm not a hot chick... :lol:
Interesting - my Costco checks your membership card when you enter the store.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Powell&Pressburger said:
In case u want to call your local Costco if you give them this item # they can check to see if they will have stock of it. Esp if it saves you money even if they may not have it on the shelf until Tuesday. Something tells me it probably doesn't have a street date listed on it since it also contains copies of WBKotterThe item # is 943272
Thank you for providing the item #. That was enormously helpful when I visited Costco. Many, many thanks.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Going thru the discs, all the rescores are way too loud & take me out of the moment, even the cover in Frog Story..even the little bit in Johnny's headphones.... The Andy dub over the Long Run replacement is horrendous... I am very happy with complete episodes, but every edited show I've watched so far is unacceptable...

The Pink Floyd replacement is very close, but the rhythm of the scene is off & doesn't play well...

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I think the Pink Floyd replacement was handled very well. I can't imagine it being handled any better. Possibly you prefer how FOX handled it. I haven't found the edited eps that bad. Yes we can feel sad that we are missing music but we just have to get over that and make peace with it. The fact SHOUT went thru the trouble of keeping as much of the scenes intact as possible is much more then we would have thru FOX.
I will have to look out for increases in volume on some of those scenes but I've been listening to all the eps so far as 2.0 mono and at a louder level then normal but I haven't come across that issue, except when I think the speaking volume seems lower then I like I just turn it up louder. :) but to call the way SHOUT has handled the edits as unacceptable begs the question, you knew roughly what you were buying from reading this forum and you're still not happy, Why did you buy it?
It has been mentioned before regarding Shout's licensing of the music they did get to release this set is anywhere from 3-5 years. After that time frame is up if this set does go OOP I wouldn't ever expect another release to go as far as Shout did with trying to offer as much of the edited eps as they gave. I would only expect major scenes to be gone.
If this set does go OOP in 3-5 years can you imagine how much it would fetch then! I think this is it folks.

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
I'm more than happy to have this set. I think Shout did the best they could have done.

But, there are a handful of episodes where I'm going to stick with the recordings I already have, picture and sound quality issues notwithstanding.

Only a handful, though... maybe half a dozen out of 88 episodes.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
jeffyoungct said:
My Overstock.com pre-order arrived today, Monday, one day before the street date.
Did you receive a shipping notice from Overstock before you received the item? I have yet to receive a notice, and the status of the order on their website is "processing". This is my first order through them, and I am not thrilled with the experience so far. Since they charged my credit card upon placing the order (something Amazon never does), I would expect a quicker shipment than this.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I picked up the set at Costco... the price was reasonable for me now at about 15 bucks a season.

I watched the first two eps last night. I watched this show when it came out way back when and the eps played like I remember them. The picture had a bit too much black crush but was certainly watchable.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Obsolete Man said:
Mama's Review, episode 9...

Isn't 9 episodes in a bit early for a clip show? Were they running over budget? Behind schedule? New timeslot?
They weren't the only one. That same year, Diff'rent Strokes did an hour-long clip show when it hadn't even been on the air for two months!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MatthewA said:
They weren't the only one. That same year, Diff'rent Strokes did an hour-long clip show when it hadn't even been on the air for two months!
Well, at least they didn't reach the Clerks: Animated level of having a clip show as episode 2. But it was close.

Anyway, Jennifer's Date... earlier releases either cut or altered the Hot Blooded scene? That would have been good reason to take up pitchforks and torches. Hilarious scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks