What's new

Wizards and Ralph Bakshi on dvd (1 Viewer)

JohnAP

Second Unit
Does anyone have any information on the state of Ralphi's Bakshi's Wizards. Fox put the film out on vhs back in 1993, but that is the last time it was made available to the public and copies are pretty scarce nowadays. My main question is whether or not Fox still has the rights to the film.

It seems no one studio has the home video rights to a significant amount of Bakshi's films. As far as the ones that have made it to dvd
Heavy Traffic and Fritz the Cat are available from MGM/Ua,
Lord of the Rings is available from Warner,
and American Pop is available from Columbia Tristar

That still leaves a significant number of films which were put out by a number of different studios on vhs. I've always felt Wizards was the best though and if Fox does still have the rights, I hope they can get around to putting it out on dvd. It's not a high profile release, but I think there's enough of an audience to merit making it available.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Wizards is still ensconced in my favorite 10 films of all time, and it's the only one of them still not on DVD. I loved this movie and set through EVERY showing of it at the local theater back when it came out. It really needs to be on DVD, preferably as a jampacked special edition.

Somehow though I don't see it showing up in Fox's Studio Classics series.... :laugh: It gets no respect, for reasons I can't fathom.;

JohnAP

Second Unit
Yeah, it's one of those films that will never be a top priority at a big studio,but other studios saw fit to make some of his other work available and I think Wizards has more of an audience than, say, American Pop.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Was the Japan release of the LD widescreen?? (I know the US wasn't, but I have a specific reason for asking on this that is not-discussable at this time)

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Please, Fox--give us Wizards on DVD.

"Master loves Larry. Master feeds Larry!"

I, too, love this movie! (see signature line below)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks