What's new

Without a Clue: without a DVD! (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I've seen this clever little movie about three times now, and I'm really starting to love it!
For those unfamiliar:
Michael Caine is Sherlock Holmes, Ben Kingsley is Dr. Watson, but there's a great twist. It seems that Watson is really the genius behind all the brilliant criminal deductions, while Holmes is no more than a drunken actor hired to play Watson's 'front man'.
Yes, it's a comedy!
The supporting cast is a dream: Jeffrey Jones, Nigel Davenport, Peter Cook, Paul Freeman, and the ever-adorable Lysette Anthony!
It's a PG-rated flick, released by Orion in 1988. Directed by Thom Eberhrdt, the off-and-on director behind movies like Night of the Comet, Gross Anatomy, The Night Before, and (shudder) Captain Ron. Written by Gary Murphy and Larry Strawther, two of the writers responsible for Malcolm in the Middle - IMO, one of the best sitcoms of the past ten years.
I'm SURE that some of you have seen and enjoyed this forgotten little farce, but I for one would love to own it on DVD. I know it's available in other Regions, but not here in the U.S.
Any info/support/mutual adoration regarding this title would be highly appreciated. Most of my favorite "80's flicks" have been released recently, so this one (along with Popeye of course) shoots to the top of my "Me Want!" list.
Anyone else? :)

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
This is available in the UK, from Carlton. Was originally released as part of a Micheal Caine box set but now available individually for around USD15.

Not sure if OAR, but Carlton have been very very poor with this as most of their titles have been p/s to 4.3 classic examples of this are Eagle has Landed and Ipcress File.

Bryant Dahlgren

Auditioning
This is one of my wife's all-time favorites. I have been waiting patiently for this one to come out. This is a very funny movie and Michael Caine is great as the bumbling Sherlock Holmes. Thanks for bringing this one to everyone's attention.

Bryant

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
To quote the studio introduction to A Video Standard...
"Patiently waiting..."
(followed shortly thereafter with, "oh! Three-D without the glasses! :) )
I've often wondered if this was one of those that I was the only one who had ever heard of it... right up there with another small, entertaining classic, January Man. Except there is a DVD of that out now.
Leo

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This is a really funny movie, and I'd love to have it come out on DVD. I'd even take a barebones release as long as the presentation was good. I guess MGM currently holds the rights to this, and they've been pretty good about releasing catalog titles lately. It's a possibility, I suppose.

Jerome

Second Unit
Without a clue has just been released in France under the name Elementaire mon cher... lock Holmes.
It features a brand new 16/9 Master with an english track in DD 5.1 and DTS.
Unfortunately, the publisher PVB Editions has bought the DVD rights for the French territory only and the English track has forced french subtitles.
But it is a very good DVD and the best video master of this movie.
http://www.pvbeditions.com/catalogue/sherlock2.htm

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
So I'm dredging up this old thread because DVDFile tells me that MGM will be releasing the DVD in March!
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...003/12_03.html
Looks like a cult-flick extravaganza, as it's being released alongside stuff like Clifford, Spacecamp, Mad Dog Time, Carbon Copy, Walk Like a Man and Take This Job and Shove It!.
Keep your fingers crossed on the aspect ratios. :frowning:

Interesting!
The PVB 1 disc does not have forced subtitles on the original English. The 2 disc OOP version does have forced subtitles on the English DTS version. These can be removed on many players.
The UK disc is non-anamorphic widescreen. Very good picture. Cheap too.
Great film! :D

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Scott, my marketing department has found that children and families will like Without a Clue in the fullscreen format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks