What's new

Wither Laserdisc? (1 Viewer)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I've got about 400, & I buy more from time to time… I like to get them cheap. It's still a very good format for the anime fan in terms of content, especially because there's no need to worry about DVD regions. And even if something id out on DVD in Japan, for 7800 yen, I'll gladly take the LD at $3 or so.

Real Name
Mark B-E

Hi Lee,

It's great to hear from others who can appreciate the balanced aproach, to all things AV, we are not alone friend as there are quite a number of people in the UK who love this great ''FAVOURED, NOSTALGIC & COLLECTABLE LD FORMAT''..........A pleasure to hear about your viewing experiences.

Keep in touch'' and all the best

Sincere regards

Mark
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
:emoji_thumbsup:
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Real Name
Mark B-E

Hi ChristopherDAC,

I have been reading your messages from time to time over the last three aprox years, I enjoy reading your messages, replies and views.

Is most of your collection Anime? Japanes that is!

Have you heard of ''Spriggan?''

Hope life is treating you well and that you are taking good care of yourself

Regards

Mark
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Almost exclusively anime, with a few miscellaneous things — classical music, one of the Space Archive discs, A Video Standard, &c. At present I'm at about 2:1 Japanese:American releases, with the expectation that the ratio will go higher over time, since I already have at least 50% of the American releases out there, & there are some I have no interest in at all. Spriggan I know of, but do not have a copy. I may pick it up someday, just because I am already well on my way to having a complete set of AC-3 anime LDs, but it didn't strike me as terribly interesting. Now, for someone who liked Akira it might be more desirable, given Ohtomo's involvement.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have five (I think) of the big Disney CAV box sets. Boy, did they know how to do those things right! Great transfers, great extras, great presentation. Big price, but worth it. I remember having a HTF meet at my house and watching "Toy Story" in CAV with Dolby Digital sound long before the DVD was released. Everyone loved it!

The big box sets were really something special. I have Platoon, Jaws CAV, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Rock Criterion, Amadeus, Star Wars Definitive, ET, and one or two others I think.

The stairs down to the basement where my home theater lives are lined with LP frames with LDs in them. Great cover art.

I've got three LD players in my house: the 704 in my main theater room, a 406 in the closet as a backup (probably should spin it once in a while), and an M401 in my office mostly used as a CD player.

Now I'm contemplating Blu-Ray....

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I probably have about all of the Disney Box sets and the SDDVD's of the same and 1 BR Sleeping Beauty. Those big boxes are just something special. My LD collection is around 500 more or less. Had over 700 at one time.
It was and still is a fun hobby.
Regards to all

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I concur!!!

I finally took the plunge and formally got into laserdisc ten years ago. Although the format was nearing the end of its illustrious run, I still was excited to have laserdisc act as a compliment to my DVD collection, which had just gotten started months earlier.

A full decade later, I boast several titles in my collection featuring various formats and genres.

Yes, the format's demise and the subsequent availability of titles for an easier price helped. Yet, in all of this, I am very happy to have gotten into laserdisc back in 1999. I continue to enjoy them to this day.

Real Name
Mark B-E

Hi Tina,

Enjoyed reading your thread (message) and can relate to your enthusiasm about LD / DVD ect.....ect....all working together in your setup.

I myself am so glad that I started my AV pastime in April-1998, along with DVD's and for the past three aprox years, have been collecting mostly LD's from various reputable sellers in Japan / China / US....and so on.

Because I do not watch TV channels at home I have been purchasing about 55 HD DVD & Blu-Ray titles.
So when I eventually pay for, and receive my Pioneer KURO 609, then I shall start to watch these titles.

Laserdisc is my favorite format ''for all the collectable reasons that is'' and all the disc formats coexist and in harmony with each other.

Great reading friend

Kindest regards

From a stranger and enthusiast accross the pond

Mark (UK)
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I too still enjoy putting in a laser disc title from time to time. I am thinking about getting my Marantz player fixed or buying a new Pioneer in the box. My Marantz player works but I have to tap it to get the player to spin up the disc. I have some Laserdisc titles I do not have on DVD and some of them will not get replaced until they are released on Bluray. My current set up includes VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, HD-DVD and Bluray.

Could you imagine how much hd content they could fit on a 12" laserdisc if it was updated to be a Bluray? ;) :laugh:

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Thank you very much for the kind words, Mark. I truly enjoyed your story also. That is very kind and sweet of you.
I recently picked up a new AV receiver for my bedroom which does an absoluutely awesome job on my laserdiscs (and DVD's also). Pro Logic II on Dolby Surround soundtracks...AC-3 via an outboard Dolby Digital processor...DTS...and all other PCM offerings via Circle Surround II, once properly set up...lead to a very enjoyable home theater experience on laserdisc.

Keep on keeping on with your HT enjoyment, Mark. Keep on spinning those ol' 12" discs!!!!!
And let me know once you get your KURO!!!!!

Real Name
Mark B-E

Hiya Tina,

First of all I must apologise for my late reply friend, my reason for this is because I do not have a web connection at home.

The first 18 months I am keeping the out going bills simple ''keeping my outgoing to a minimum'' and am currently 10+ months into this time period.

This is because I moved into my first home after waiting 20+ years for one reason or another i.e. I used to spend all of my money on motorcycles and since 1998 I decided that enough was enough and time to move on, ''you know'' been there and done that.

Also because I have a disabled Mother who is wheelchair bound whenever leaving her room and home, so purchasing a car was the obvious choice.

I live close about 6 miles from where she lives, and because I work shift I try to visit when I can, or call her on the phone.

Every purchase that I have received has been a first, first fridge, first cooker, first carpet, ect...ect... and am currently paying for my first ever bed and matress, which is being made to order.

From mid March onwards I shall be dedicating my time to the KURO and LEXICON MC12B & LX7 amp, the latter has been reserved for a long time now and needs to be addressed.

I am hoping to have the Kuro by June, and with plenty ov overtime shift's from the beginning of next week onwards, will help in speeding up with these goals......To be honest It's been a hard slogg!.....along the way, as I am dead against taking out credit, personal loans or finance, any way if I cannot wait for things in life well..I have no reason not to.

You are welcome with reference my kind words, and good to hear about your success story with your AV receiver and LD viewing friend.

I shall be like a little Kid when my Kuro arrives..along with the lex which has taken 3+ years now, plus the dealer in question is working out a deal to provide me with a Denon 3800 Blu-ray and an HDMI switcher all in with the same price......the sacrifices involved just to achieve these goals has been a labour of hope and endurance.........I KID YOU NOT! so I can understand others experiences aswell as mine.

Thank you for your reply Tine and shall look forward to corresponding along the way.

Kind and genuine regards

Mark (UK)
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks