What's new

With WKRP, Wonder Years and Batman now a reality, what's the next holy grail? (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
On top of my list are two shows yet to be offically released due to music clearance problems:

Cold Case
The Lawrence Welk Show

also, there are shows that have been stalled partway in their DVD releases for years:

Peyton Place
Green Acres
Burke's Law
Malcolm in the Middle
Matt Houston
Barnaby Jones

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Peter M Fitzgerald said:
My personal grail is T.H.E. CAT.

I know it's deep below the radar of 99.9% of the population, as well as being a "one-season wonder", but the thing that gets me is, if it was available in nice, full-color prints, and aggressively marketed* by a "cool pop culture" company like Shout Factory, I could see it doing quite well as a 'blind buy' for a lot of people out there.

It has a tone that is a lot more like modern spy/action hits like Daniel Craig's 007, Bourne, Nolan's Batman, Transporter, The Equalizer, Sin City, etc, than its 1960s TV peers. If T.H.E. CAT was a Marvel comic book, we'd probably already have a movie by now. It's also an "action show" that's actually an action show, rather than a drama disguised as an action series.

* Think about it... a DVD/Blu case with the following copy on it:

"From the creator of DIRTY HARRY and the director of THE OMEGA MAN...

--starring Robert Loggia (SCARFACE, THE SOPRANOS, INDEPENDENCE DAY, BIG) as Thomas Hewitt Edward Cat

--with guest stars including: Robert Duvall, Sally Kellerman, James Whitmore, Cesar Romero and Ted Knight"
I'm right there with ya Peter. My number 2 grail show. I have a full set from an "alternate" source and the color is terrible but you can kind of tell that in pristeen shape, it must have been awesome to view.

---------------------------------------------------------
As far as popular series, I'd go with:

DRAGNET (1950s)
AMOS & ANDY
ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: Seasons 6 & 7 (pressed)
THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR

texboil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Robbins
The fact that nobody's mentioned these tells me that the interest isn't there, but here goes:

1. SCTV. Shout did the NBC shows and a smattering of third season shows and apparently nobody cared. Long ago lost all hope for a revival, but always use this as first answer when question comes up.
2. Late Night with David Letterman. Surprised this hasn't come up. I would like to see a 4-DVD box set for each year with three discs of complete shows (including anniversary shows when they exist) and a disc of random highlights.
3. Rutland Weekend Television. Have never seen Eric Idle's post-Python show and am curious.
4. It's Your Move. Heard horror stories about the chances of this being released.
5. Siskel & Ebert. Weird, but I would buy a best-of or a collection of themed-shows.

Echoing this already mentioned:
1. Saturday Night Live. Presence on Netflix almost enough, but not quite.

Probably in due time:
1. Monty Python on blu ray. A&E releases are horrible. Would love an upgrade.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Great minds think alike! BACHELOR FATHER, 77 SUNSET STRIP, SURFSIDE 6, BOURBON STREET BEAT, HAWAIIAN EYE, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, OUR MISS BROOKS, PRIVATE SECRETARY and may I add ADVENTURES IN PARADISE and the complete PEOPLE'S CHOICE!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Without a doubt, I want them to resume releasing SNL on DVD. I don't feel comfortable watching Seasons 6 onwards online because they're missing the musical performances, as well as most of the sketches with copyrighted music (barring memetic sketches like Eddie Murphy's Michael Jackson PSA or, jumping into the 90s, the "More Cowbell" sketch). Many of these episodes have been edited severely, to the point where quite a few episodes only have a cold opening, a monologue and one or two sketches at most. I want the whole thing...All the sketches, all the music.

I don't know if it's music rights issues or Lorne Michaels liking to pretend that, with the exception of Eddie Murphy and certain sketches from season 10, that the show didn't exist when he wasn't producing it, but with SNL's 40th anniversary on the way, I'd like to see uncut season releases again. If Lorne is worried about sales for the 80s seasons, he could do a limited edition box set called "SNL: The Complete 1980s", with seasons 6-15 all in one set. It would be exorbitantly expensive, but that's why I suggested a limited edition, and then there could be a "SNL: The Complete 1990s", with seasons 16-25, and an "SNL: The Complete 2000s", with seasons 26-35, and so on.

History-making and just plain enjoyable sketches and musical performances spanning almost 3-and-a-half decades are going unseen because of rights issues, and I hope they can eventually be figured out someday. Lorne Michaels isn't getting any younger, and neither are Dick Ebersol, Bob Tischler or the much-dreaded Jean Doumanian.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I'll come right out and say it: I saw reruns from seasons 6 and 11 on Comedy Central in the 90s, and I liked what I saw. Many others didn't, but a complete uncut boxed set of SNL's 80s seasons could provide a chance for reevaluation. With the online prints, you're not getting the whole show, and that's a damn shame.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I would love some of the shows that have been mentioned. Rhoda Final Season (plus unaired eps) Phyllis The Betty White Show (loved these on Nick@nite)Maude one day at a time many of the above should just get a complete series release instd of season sets. I think they would sell faster and better Fans knowing they will get all the eps at once. Knots Landing I really LOVED season 2 And I only mention this title because I believe it was scheduled to be released then I think it fell thru possibly to music licensing issues Werewolf? Exactly how manny songs were on this show that got it canceled?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I would love the remaining Carol Burnett Show episodes, but only if uncut, containing the musical numbers & finales. That's my biggest Holy Grail.

As far as Knots Landing, it did pick up steam in Season 4, although there are a few really good eps in S3, with Michele Lee's character dealing with the death of her husband. But it REALLY kicked ass in it's 5th and 6th seasons. Season 6 is the one with Ava Gardner, and the kidnapping of Valene's twins in the delivery room.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Rod Serling's The Loner
The remaining Hitchcock seasons (including the hour-longs)
The second season of NBC's Joey (kidding) :lol:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Gary OS said:
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet, although some will argue there's not an appropriate level of fan interest. In the Heat of the Night (all episodes with all music) is another.
This is in the works . Check out the forum on this site devoted to Sam Nelson's efforts to restore Ozzie And Harriet and release it on disc. That forum has been very active so it would appear that fan interest is there.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Ed Lachmann said:
Great minds think alike! BACHELOR FATHER, 77 SUNSET STRIP, SURFSIDE 6, BOURBON STREET BEAT, HAWAIIAN EYE, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, OUR MISS BROOKS, PRIVATE SECRETARY and may I add ADVENTURES IN PARADISE and the complete PEOPLE'S CHOICE!
I would buy each and every one of these shows , especially PEOPLE'S CHOICE . Add to the list December Bride , Topper , Trackdown, My Little Margie , Lawman, Life of Riley, Oh Susannah, Waterfront , Adventures of Wild Bill Hickock others .

Wezzo

Second Unit
Craig Beam said:
The second season of NBC's Joey (kidding) :lol:
That second season was released in Canada! (I own it... I know, I know...)
Charles Ellis said:
On top of my list are two shows yet to be offically released due to music clearance problems:

Cold Case
The Lawrence Welk Show

also, there are shows that have been stalled partway in their DVD releases for years:
Malcolm in the Middle
Malcolm has had a full release in the UK and Australia, if you're able to play imported DVDs.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I second The Magician and more St. Elsewhere, plenty other smaller titles I could mention as well and of course many a stalled CBS classic. Would be nice to see the 1980s Alfred Hitchcock Presents finally come out wonder if rights hold back this Universal title, otherwise surely Shout!Factory would've been all over it...

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Frank Soyke said:
I think Madman released all seasons in Austrailia
Thanks for the heads up on Madman releasing the final two seasons of McCloud. I had been watching the sight for news but somehow missed the release date by a year. Got mine ordered. Glad to have it finished.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I doubt you will see anything else with the sort of demand that Batman, Wonder Years, etc have had over the years. Personally, I think the next big thing will be shows upgraded to HD and on Blu-Ray. I want to see Deep Space Nine get the same HD treatment TNG has gotten. I'd also like to see The Fugitive get a Blu-Ray release.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
classicmovieguy said:
Another one...

It's a Living

I know it probably will never happen because of the hellacious music clearance issues surrounding it, but I can still dream.
This is still my #1 Holy Grail and I keep meaning to make a list of all the songs Paul Kreppel performed to see just how much music was used. I watched all 120 episodes about a year ago and ironically it was the later syndicated era w/Crystal Bernard and Sheryl Lee Ralph that was more music-heavy. I am more interested in the ABC years/Ann Jillian episodes and I recall there are fewer music issues with those thankfully. Still hoping Warner Archive will realize there is a market for at least the first two seasons and put them out soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks