What's new

With WKRP, Wonder Years and Batman now a reality, what's the next holy grail? (1 Viewer)

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
Like Ron said: Amos 'n AndyFollowed closely by Gary O's: The Adventures of Ozzy and HarriettThen You'll Never Get Rich (aka Sgt. Bilko)and Burns and Allen I have others but those 4 are "Day 1" purchases should they ever hit these shores.
I apologize, but with Ozzy and Harriet, I'm picturing Ozzy Osbourne in the Nelsons' living room. I definitely would want that show. :D

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
I was thinking about this question a little more and I think for an adequate answer we have to recongize that their are 2 types of grail shows: 1) Unreleased Shows that garner a lot of widespread interest from many fans (Ozzie and Harriet. Make Room For Daddy, Sunset Strip, etc.) 2) Personal "Grail" shows that are very important for we personally but not in exceptionally high demand by many in the hobby as compared with the ones mentioned above. For me that would include shows like He and She, Run For Your Life, and THE Cat.
Great distinction. I agree on RFYL, THE Cat and would add Judd for the Defense and The Man Who Never Was from that same era.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Kasey said:
Yes, those episodes all aired in early 1978 and during the 1978-79 season. IMO the show didn't really take off until Mary Crosby replaced Colleen Camp as Kristen. She was one of my favorite characters in all 14 seasons.
Kasey said:
I too have found early Knots to be slow-moving and I'm still not past S1 (I got the first two seasons a few years back for a steal), but don't forget many of those early Dallas episodes were also pretty self-contained (Bobby and J.R. in the plane crash; the Ewings held hostage at Southfork; Bobby kidnapped, etc).

To come to think of it, if I had started watching Dallas with the season 1+2 dvd set and found it to be slow-moving self-contained type of epsiodes, I think I might have ended up returning all the dvd sets for a refund. (About a month ago, I purchased the seasons 1+2, 3, and 4 dvd sets).

But after watching through seasons 3 and 4 and seeing how absolutely brilliant and outstanding they were (without ever watching season 1+2), I ended up ordering the rest of the dvd season sets (5 to 14) and the movies.

I'll eventually get around to buying the season 1+2 set.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
jcroy said:
It would be great to see at least season 4 of Knots Landing released on dvd.

I'm mainly interested in the crossover episodes, which feature Dallas characters (such as JR).

Recently I picked up seasons 1 and 2 of Knots Landing, largely to see the Dallas crossover episodes. But so far I've been finding season 1 somewhat "slow going" to watch. Season 2 seems to be more of the same (so far). These first two seasons seem to be mostly "standalone" type of episodes where everything is wrapped up by the end of the episode, with very little mentioned about events from previous episodes. (It doesn't seem to be "serialized" like Dallas was).

I never really watched Knots Landing back in its original first-run.

When does Knots Landing become a "serialized" show (like Dallas)?
Jcroy......."Knots Landing" really started picking up (serialized) in season 4. The main plot centered around the character Ciji Dunne (played by the beautiful and wonderful Lisa Hartman) who was a nightclub singer who was involved with a lot of the main characters.

Some people say "Knots Landing" picked up with season 2 (with Donna Mills) who played more of a "Female version of J.R. in "Dallas"". But all the episodes in season 1, 2, and 3 were standalone episodes and wrapped up the storylines within a single episode. Season 3 started to get a little serialized (with the death of Sid Fairgate), but it wasn't until season 4 that the show became official serialized.

The best seasons of "Knots Landing" were Seasons 4-10. Season 10 is where Donna Mills left the show (prior to that a lot of the main characters started to leave as well). Seasons 11-14 were ok.....the episodes were serialized but plot lines were like seasons 1-3.....slower paced.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
As far as shows without "official" releases, the only one I want is Burns and Allen. It would seem unlikely, however, due to episodes being in public domain, as well as the cost of remastering the episodes (what little I have seen looks terrible and doesn't really sound that good either, but then again, they are low-cost releases, too). As far as shows that have been started, I would like to see Green Acres, followed by sister shows Petticoat Junction and Beverly Hillbillies, both of which I hope CBS licenses out to somebody (I'm sorry, but especially on Petticoat Junction with all its music issues, I worry about the episodes being "complete" if CBS releases them).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
To come to think of it, if I had started watching Dallas with the season 1+2 dvd set and found it to be slow-moving self-contained type of epsiodes, I think I might have ended up returning all the dvd sets for a refund. (About a month ago, I purchased the seasons 1+2, 3, and 4 dvd sets).
(Going into more detail).

Here's a thread (from another board) about somebody else finding season 1+2 of Dallas being kinda "slow going" and lackluster.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077000/board/nest/229943621

When I found out my copy of season 1+2 was defective (which I returned for a refund), I coincidentally came across the above ^ thread on imdb's Dallas page. Reading through this thread and looking up the season 1+2 episode descriptions, it was enough to convince me that I probably wasn't missing much major stuff by starting at season 3 (instead of also returning the seasons 3 and 4 dvd sets for a refund). (Other than missing some backstory stuff which was repeatedly quoted during season 3, such as: SueEllen being sent to the sanitarium, etc ...).

I suppose by the time I end up buying the season 1+2 set, I can probably treat it like as if it was a "prequel" of some sort,

I already watched through the Dallas tv movies and the revised Dallas series first-run episodes. (The two post-series movies were not treated as official "canon" for the revived Dallas series on TNT. So I figured, what's the harm in watching them out of sequence. I also watched the series finale episode, which seemed like a weird and out of place episode featuring the "devil").

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Cannon The Complete Series Remastered and Released. All 5 Seasons, The Original Two Hour Pilot Movie as originally aired, Barnaby Jones Episode 1 Requirem For A Son included , The Original Two Hour Episode#49 He Who Digs A Grave, The The Original 2 Part The Deadly Conspiracy Part 2 being Barnaby Jones Episode #62 as originally aired, The Original Two Hour Episodei The Star, and The Original Return Of Frank Cannon TV Movie.

Barnaby Jones The Complete Series

Cade's County The Complete Series

Dan August The Complete Series

MCCLOUD The Complete Series

Kodiak The Complete Series

These are just some I would like to see!

GOD BLESS!

ROBERT

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
My personal grail is T.H.E. CAT.

I know it's deep below the radar of 99.9% of the population, as well as being a "one-season wonder", but the thing that gets me is, if it was available in nice, full-color prints, and aggressively marketed* by a "cool pop culture" company like Shout Factory, I could see it doing quite well as a 'blind buy' for a lot of people out there.

It has a tone that is a lot more like modern spy/action hits like Daniel Craig's 007, Bourne, Nolan's Batman, Transporter, The Equalizer, Sin City, etc, than its 1960s TV peers. If T.H.E. CAT was a Marvel comic book, we'd probably already have a movie by now. It's also an "action show" that's actually an action show, rather than a drama disguised as an action series.

* Think about it... a DVD/Blu case with the following copy on it:

"From the creator of DIRTY HARRY and the director of THE OMEGA MAN...

--starring Robert Loggia (SCARFACE, THE SOPRANOS, INDEPENDENCE DAY, BIG) as Thomas Hewitt Edward Cat

--with guest stars including: Robert Duvall, Sally Kellerman, James Whitmore, Cesar Romero and Ted Knight"

---------------------------------------------------------
As far as popular series, I'd go with:

DRAGNET (1950s)
AMOS & ANDY
ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: Seasons 6 & 7 (pressed)
THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
The Fall Guy and Kidd Video have music issues and have been neglected.

also Empty Nest, Burns & Allen, Jack Benny, and any daytime soap opera. I know some daytime soaps have had some releases but I am only interested in Another World, 80s Days of Our Lives and Santa Barbara.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Here's another holy grail, although complete season are impossible - get episodes of Meet the Press out on DVD. Given some of the people they had on, where they ended up and the topics discussed, it's a fascinating historical snapshot of time and place.Admittedly, the interest level may not be that high outside of poli sci majors, I'd jump at a chance to (affordably) own some of these.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
jcroy said:

But after watching through seasons 3 and 4 and seeing how absolutely brilliant and outstanding they were (without ever watching season 1+2), I ended up ordering the rest of the dvd season sets (5 to 14) and the movies.
Season 4 was way over-hyped IMO. Season 5, though lacking a decent cliffhanger, was miles better and what I would rank as arguably the best season of the entire series.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Kasey said:
Season 4 was way over-hyped IMO.
I vaguely remember the "Who Shot JR?" hype at the time. It was all over the place during that summer.

At the time, I didn't know what the significance of it was. I didn't really watch Dallas in those days. I was more interested in watching stuff like the Dukes of Hazzard, The Incredible Hulk, etc ...

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
jcroy said:
I vaguely remember the "Who Shot JR?" hype at the time. It was all over the place during that summer.

At the time, I didn't know what the significance of it was. I didn't really watch Dallas in those days. I was more interested in watching stuff like the Dukes of Hazzard, The Incredible Hulk, etc ...
The episode of Dallas that revealed "whodunnet" has the honor of being the ONLY episode of this show that I watched. (I was one of 80,000,000+ "Innocent Bystanders"). :biggrin: :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
1. More - Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, Carol Burnett Show
2. Cher
3. The Pruitt's Of Southampton
4. The Paul Lynde Show
5. Drew Carey Show - completed
6. Hart To Hart - completed
7. The Nanny - completed
8. Green Acres - completed
9. more seasons of Saturday Night Live
10. Surfside 6

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks