What's new

With TVGrid.com gone, are there any online TV guides that compare? (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
TVGrid died this past summer (does anyone know what actually happened to it?). Then I went to clickTV.com which was close and at least workable. But now clickTV.com has been taken over by zap2it. Which doesn't even really work for me. If I try and make any customizations to my lineup (even getting it so more than just 10 shows are displayed on the screen) I end up with no listings at all.

Are there any online TV guides out there that are decent and include ExpressVu's programming?

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! That's really weird. I was about to post the same question!

The feature that I found invaluable with TV Grid was the ability to create Personal Searches; you could search the TV listings each day for, say, movies from a specific director, and TV Grid would send you an e-mail outlining the results from all these searches each day. This is a fantastic feature when you are saddled with around 40 movie channels.

TV Grid suddenly disappeared one day, and I stopped receiving their e-mails. Then it reappeared briefly, but the programming info was spotty to the point that it was useless and the Personal Searches never seemed to cull any results (perhaps because the programming info only listed a few channels.)

A replacement service that included a function similar to these Personal Searches would be terrific. (For example, TVGuide.com does not include this function, or I'm overlooking it.)

It's a shame about the demise of TV Grid. That was a great website.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I've never seen TVGrid so I can't compare it, but there's a grid at tripled.com which is run by Triple D Publishing (publishers of OnSat and TVPlus magazines) which is pretty good. I like it because they provide episode info on most of the shows and movies. Take a look.

Link Removed is the closest I've seen to TVgrid.com.
It's very customizable, it will even set up a custom calendar for programming that you want to watch. The search feature is very good, it doesn't seem to miss programs like Zap2It does.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I also recommend Link Removed, even though I've never used TV Grid. Gist is very easy to use and gives you several ways to look for programs.
/Mike

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin
Since you are Canadian I highly recommend going to Link Removed, and select tv listings. It is the best Candian guide going. (In My Humble Opinion). It uses the exact same data as tvguide.ca (they do't get a hyper-link from me!). I tried the tvguide site and found it much slower.
The canoe guide lets you choose, off air, cable, or sattelite and arrange your view how you like it. I have the channels I care about at the top and show the synopsis right in the grid. Give it a go, you may like it too!

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
It's not perfect, but I use tv.excite.com to figure out what's on in a given evening. It will give you listings for almost all channels.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Canoe seems to be identical to what clicktv was. Not as good as tvgrid was though. I miss icons for all the stereo/new/close captioned stuff, made it much easier to read.
However, I see this nice notice saying they are going to switch to Zap2It's database on dec 18. If Zap2It kills another one :angry:
The gist.com site. Anyone see a place where you can enter a postal code instead of a zip code. I don't think it supports Canadian TV :frowning: So I can't try it.
For those interested, the only thing I was able to find on TVGrid was it was purchased by AOL in earily 2000. What they did with it I don't know.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to Zap2It.com for taking something good (ClickTV) and totally destroying it.

No reminder feature, no popups to display the program information, a million bugs (didn't delete half the channels I selected, didn't keep track of some of my other settings...)

Wow, am I ever pissed off. I'd love to design a TV listings site packed full of features just to give those idiots the big finger.

Gord - pissed off former ClickTV user

Graham Perks

Second Unit
FYI, ReplayTV offers this service for free. I haven't tried their web portal yet, but it apparently mirrors what I see on the TV via the unit itself. Each night it silently dials up and downloads programming to keep a week ahead. You can search by actor, name, description, or director. When you find a show you like, press record and it will record it (and optionally every future episode too).

You can tell it to record everything matching "Married with Children" and keep the most recent two hours of the show around... pretty cool!

Of course you can watch it whenever you like (and skip through the commercials, too!)

I'm guessing Tivo is much the same except they want $10/month for the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks