With the upcoming release of "Sledge Hammer", a question arises...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by John Kilduff, Mar 16, 2004.

1. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

What obscure comedies would you like to see issued on DVD?

I, for one, have heard some pretty good things about an 80s series called "Buffalo Bill". The great character actor Dabney Coleman played a talk show host with an erractic personal life and screwed-up guests. At least, that's what I recall hearing...I was but a baby when the show was on the air. Still, I'd like to see this on DVD.

So, what are your picks?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Particularly interested in an episode of the program called "Jerry Lewis Week", which featured a young Jim Carrey.

2. TomJC

TomJC Extra

I'd like to see "Quark", the late 70's comedy with Richard Benjamin as captain of a space garbage ship.

3. Randy Gray

Randy Gray Stunt Coordinator

Some short lived syndicated series would be nice like "Double Trouble" a show about two identical twins; "THROB" a show set in a radio station starring Dianna Canova of Soap fame; and "Small Wonder" a show about a scientist who builds a robotic daughter. "Small Wonder" actually ran for about four seasons I think. I remember watching all three of these shows and would love to see them on DVD.

- Randy

4. Randy Gray

Randy Gray Stunt Coordinator

OOPS! I forgot about "She's The Sherriff" with Suzanne Sommers and "Out Of This World" and "Angie" both starring Donna Pescow.

- Randy

5. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

I'd sorta like to see The Charmings on dvd. I have vague memories of being amused by it, though it's entirely possible that upon re-viewing I would discover that I must have been smoking crack to have found it funny.

6. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I'd like to see "My Occasional Wife". This was a really hokey series from back in the 60's, that I think only ran one season. It was about a swingin' young guy whose company only hired married men, so he convinced his neighbor two floors below him to play his wife when needed. All sorts of hijinks ensued, especially when they had to go past the middle neighbor's window on the fire escape. They ran this on Comedy Central years and years ago, and I got in the habbit of watching it. It wasn't all that great, but I'd buy it for nostalgia's sake.

7. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

For me, it's "Square Pegs" created by former SNL staff writer Annie Beatts. It aired in the early '80s and was Sarah Jessica Parker's first real gig. She played a misfit (along with her friend Lauren) who was always looking for a way to fit in. This show also signaled the big break for Jamie Gertz.

The show was as "new wave" as the time period in which it aired (only one season -- 1982) and featured guests like Devo, John Densmore of the Doors, Bill Murray, Tony Dow, Los Angeles Dodgers alum Steve Sax, Jimmy & The Mustangs, Martin Mull, and The Waitresses. No other show on the air at that time dared to title an episode "Pac Man Fever"! [​IMG]

Another I'd love on DVD, although not as obscure as some of the others mentioned in this thread so far, is "Fernwood 2 Night". Obscure or not, no one really seems to mention it anymore. Great '70s sitcom done in the talk show format with a killer premise: big-time talk show host relocates to small town of Fernwood and proceeds to tape his show there, carrying on as if his audience was the size of New York! He regularly tapped the citizens of Fernwood to appear as guests and musical acts (and to display other strange special talents as well). Martin Mull as Barth Gimble and Fred Willard as his sidekick!

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Thanks, a show that CBS burned off during the summer a few years back. It's a family sitcom set in Plymouth, MA, when the Puritans first arrived. Irreverent, but frequently witty.

The Good Life was a more standard comedy, this one on NBC, and featured Drew Carey in a supporting role.

The one I really want, though, is M.Y.O.B. Every once in a while NBC accidentally hires someone creative and they deliver something witty, as here where Don Roos toned The Opposite of Sex down a smidge for this thing with Lauren Graham and Katherine Towne. I was actually cranky when I first watched Gilmore Girls because it meant Graham wouldn't be doing this any more.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

All those "Prime Time Starts At 7:30" series that some NBC affiliates picked up in the 80's, anyone remember Marblehead Manner (the birth of Kramer,lol).

How about "Nearly Departed"?

lol. Then again, I liked the Charmings too...

I had always hoped to see the "Blossom" precursor again-- the show Blossom was actually originally done on another network in a different form as "Molloy" with Mayim Bialik, co-starring Jennifer Aniston.

Odd the things I remember. Anyone remember the Cheer's sping off based on Carla's family, the Fertellis?

10. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Carla's (partial) last name was Tortelli, not Fertelli. Carla Maria Victoria Angelina Teresa Apollonia Lozupone Tortelli LeBec, to be exact.[​IMG]

11. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

One short-lived, somewhat obscure TV series that I'd like to see would be "Police Squad!", which is actually close to "Sledge Hammer!" in its police satire humor, not to mention the exclamation point at the end. The show was very short-lived, so it would be easy to get it on one or two discs. And as the inspiration for the Naked Gun series, there's likely an audience for this.

12. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Lots of good calls...

I'd like to toss in a vote for "Fridays". Sketch comedy, yes, but comedy anyway...It served as the show that helped bring Larry David and Michael Richards a ticket to the forefront of comedy.

Also, it's animated, but I'd like to see "Family Dog" on DVD. Sort of the bastard child of the Spielberg-Warner collaborations, not many episodes were made. This would be easy to release.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

What do you do? YOU SMOKE IT!

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Greg The Bunny! Starring the always excellent Eugene Levy, and Seth Green.

14. StacyV

StacyV Second Unit

15. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Right, right- my fault, was thinking of Goonies. They did do a few episodes of the Tortelli series near the end of the cheers run.

-V

16. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    the show i would like to see is "when things were rotten". which quark was much like.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072585/
    quark came from the mind of buck henry,and rotten came from mel brooks.

also police squad was on 3 or 4 years before sledge hammer and is what the idea for sledge hammer is "borrowed" from.

police squad came from the same people who made Airplane, the Movie!