With The Beatles new "Let it Be" CD coming out in Nov...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kajs, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

...why haven't we heard anything about a "Let it Be" DVD yet? Wasn't that part of the plan?

"Let It Be...Naked"

2. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

The general word is that the DVD has been delayed. The rumor is that there are several Beatle-related DVD products coming to market this fall so Apple wants to hold back the DVD to keep the marketplace from getting crowded. There were similar delays scheduling the ANTHOLOGY for release on DVD.

There are criticisms from some Beatles fans that the current management at Apple doesn't understand the concept of marketing related products together at the same time.

3. Bob-ATL

Bob-ATL Stunt Coordinator

This release has been confirmed. CNN reported on it yesterday and USA Today has a sidebar in today's life section. Release date is Nov. 18, 2003. Hopefully we'll get Let It Be on DVD soon!

[​IMG]

4. Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know the tracklist on the CD yet? It also will come with a bonus CD of outtakes, which I am thrilled about. (Big Beatles fan here.)

When the DVD does come out (and I have a feeling it will be next year), I hope they include the original version of the film as well as any "alternate" footage. I'm worried they'll modify the original. Hopefully they'll do as good a job on it as they did on "Yellow Submarine," still one of my favorite DVDs in my collection.

Jeff

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Wasn't there supposed to have been a long version of Dig It on the original Get Back album? But that seems to have fallen off this project. [​IMG]

6. Jeff Kuykendall

The long version of "Dig It" was the highlight of the movie, for me, when I saw it years ago in Seattle. It was such a revelation, much more entertaining than the short version.

I would guess that if it's not on the new CD, it will be on the bonus disc.

Jeff

7. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

8. Jeff Kuykendall

That's an interesting track listing. With "Get Back" in the front, it makes me wonder if we'll lose the classic line from John that closes the original album. I also wonder if "I Me Mine" will be the short version, a la Anthology 3...I assume so.

It will be a short album altogether. Good thing they're releasing that bonus CD with it.

9. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff,

Apple has said that the studio chatter bits will be removed. Not such a big loss as the particular tag you speak of wasn't originally from the take used on the album anyway. It was from one of the several run-throughs from the rooftop concert.

I agree that no amount of work will make LET IT BE anything other than a minor effort, but even a minor Beatles album is miles ahead of most other albums. LET IT BE has some shining moments, but is probably the most uneven of the Beatles' catalog, except perhaps the White Album.

10. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I find it interesting that Sir Paul has always claimed that he hated the strings added to such songs as THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD, yet whenever I've seen him perform these songs live, he has his keyboard player simulate the string parts!

-------

11. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

The theory behind the "Let It Be... Naked" CD seems to be a presentation of the released album minus the Phil Spector touches. "Across the Universe" was never intended to be on the "Get Back" album, for instance. Spector enhanced a 1968 recording just because the song appeared in rehearsal form in the finished film.

Personally, I would have preferred they officially released one of the original "Get Back" mixes including the studio goofing (like "Dig It") and songs like "Teddy Boy."

12. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

13. John Mansor

John Mansor Stunt Coordinator

Any news of this DVD coming out? That would be much more exciting than this CD release.

14. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

The current issue of "Entertainment Weekly" had a sidebar on the Let It Be during a review of the new CD: