What's new

With speakers set to small does some lower freq still get passed on to speakers? (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have noticed right away with new center and mains that the bass has really increased. I do not use the cinema eq function to much now on my kenwood 504 because of this. What I am wandering is with speakers set to small-sub on, receiver crossing over at 90 or a 100, "any one know for sure on the 504" is there still some lower information still sent to the speakers in DTS or DD? I know the same freq are being sent to my new speakers that were sent to my others. Does the more bass result come from speakers and center being much larger and the range going down to 30 versus 80 on prior speakers. Why would this matter If crossover is the same? Just what accounts for this? I would like a firm grip on this.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes. A crossover is not a brick wall. The slope of roll off is a function of x-over type and design, and can vary (active in the case of a reciever). This is measured in how many decibles per octave roll off, and in general one can expect sound at least one octave below the x-over frequency. A speaker that covers well below the x-over frequency vs a speaker that rolls off at the same point is better suited, IMO, because there is no overlap in x-over between the speaker and the receiver. The speaker is still reproducing some of the sound below the x-over, though the sound level is diminished. This is the opposite, but identical principal for a sub - set the sub's x-over as high as possible and allow the reciever's x-over do the job.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
If you haven't already, you should consider renting or buying either "Avia Guide to Home Theater" or "Video Essentials" or the newer (more introductory) "Sound&Vision Home Theater Tuneup" plus an analog sound level meter from Radio Shack. They'll help you measure and adjust the actual sound levels that you're geting from your speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks