What's new

With new versions avail, which original (non-special edition) releases to keep? (1 Viewer)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I don't have time to rewatch everything right now before I get rid of some discs. Please comment on my decisions:

Run Lola Run: threw out my old version anyway, because it was defective.

Yi Yi (A One And A Two): I'm keeping my old one because although the video quality is terrible, it has the commentary. The All Region Korean one is much better quality, but no commentary.

Blue Velvet: Get rid of the original.

Terminator: Get rid of the original.

Nightmare Before Christmas: Give my previous version to family member. Keeping the Special Edition.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Get rid of the original in August.

Brazil: Get rid of the original. It says 131 minutes, but it's the same 142 minute version as my Criterion, right?

Pulp Fiction: I have the Canadian version with the deleted scenes. I dunno if I need to keep it with the special edition coming out.

Dr. Strangelove: Keeping my original for now. Can't seem to justify spending extra to get the new one.

In The Mood For Love: Keeping my original for now. Can't seem to justify spending extra to get the new one.

I have a few others which I only bought the Director's Cut, etc., too.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Depends on how much of an obsessive collector you are. If you are pretty loony like me, pay heed to the following:
Blue Velvet: Yes, get rid of the original--it has nil to offer that the new S.E. doesn't, save for an utterly pointless easter egg montage of footage from the film.
Terminator: Do not get rid of the original--it features a different theatrical trailer edit than any of the ones featured on the S.E. (yeah, I know, picky, picky, but we're talking about obsessive collectors--I have nothing to apologize for! ;) )
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Do not get rid of the original in August--the new Director's Cut features an entirely different take of the scene wherein the Regula I scientists debate their options as Reliant approaches. In my opinion, this gives the original edit archival value, and will be of comparison/contrast interest if you are interested in the mechanics of film direction and editing.
Dr. Strangelove: Do not keep your original for now--the S.E. features ample quality extras, which make an upgrade a necessity, especially if you're a "Kubrick disciple". The original is the very definition of bare-bones, and deserves to be sold off a.s.a.p.

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
Memento - Keep the orginial. There is aa interview with director Chris Nolan, that's not in the Limited Edition set just released.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Is there a new edition of Run Lola Run in the offing? I haven't heard there was so you'll just have to replace that. If there is an S.E. coming, wait for it...although I doubt that the video would improve.
Blue Velvet-definitely upgrade
Pulp Fiction-Features:
5 Deleted Scenes with Introduction by Quentin Tarantino
Trailers
TV Spots
Behind-The-Scenes Featurette
Still Gallery
Michael Moore Interviewing Tarantino
The Charlie Rose Show Interview with Tarantino
The Tarantino Fiction Original Documentary
A Featurette on Production Design
DVD-ROM Screenplay access. I think you can sell off your copy and be happy.
Dr. Strangelove-definitely upgrade.
In the Mood For Love-is there a different version available than the Criterion version? Are you talking about a different region than region 1?
The rest: pretty much your call. There are plusses and minus's for each.
Bruce

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
OK I will revise my choices accordingly. Note (for those wondering), I have already upgraded many discs, but just hadn't gotten around to viewing them all yet. (eg. I have both Blue Velvets but the newer one is still in the shrink wrap.)
In the Mood For Love-is there a different version available than the Criterion version? Are you talking about a different region than region 1? said:
No I replaced my old one with the current version. However, I could have sworn my old one had a different cover (again purchased in Canada). Unfortunately, it was about 6 months after I bought it before I actually watched it, and the disc was defective. I can't confirm about the cover and features though, since I have already discarded it, so maybe I'm mistaken.
As for Pulp Fiction, it seems that I have a few of the extra features not on the US original version, but not all. Thus I will have to upgrade.
Ack! Man these companies have me over a barrel. I end up buying two of everything...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks