With many show releases coming to an end this year-any guesses for next year?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Phyll, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Phyll

Phyll Stunt Coordinator

It seems this year many shows will be totally released so what is next for these big studios? I don't think they can afford to set on their catalogs any more. I would guess Three's Company will be finished and possibly TAGS and others I am not thinking of right now. Does anybody have any good hunches what might be coming out in 2007?

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    My hope is that smaller, one season shows like Captain Power will be released once a lot of the bigger shows get put out there. I'm also hoping that Superfriends in all its various forms continues to come out through this year and next (though I'm not terribly hopefuly since JL and BB have been announced for March and Superfriends is generally a year-a-year thing).

I'd also love to see It's a Living in season sets, along with Nurses and maybe...just maybe Empty Nest. I'd imagine all these Buena Vista series' will show up after Golden Girls finishes its run in 2007...as will the one season Golden Palace.

3. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I would love for the studios to release short run (1 season or less) series on dvd.
    Granted most won't break sales records. But, whatever they make is got to be more than they are making sitting in a vault doing nothing.

For example take a show being discussed in another thread...Manimal. I am not sure how much it costs to produce a dvd set. But, even if they make $4 per set...And they sell 10k sets. They just made 40k profit for something that is not making them any money. And I would assume they make more per set.

4. Ben King

Ben King Stunt Coordinator

How about....

Season sets of

The Addams Family
    Batman (Adam West)
    The Beverly Hillbillies
    Beverly Hills 90210
    Bonanza
    Cagney And Lacey
    Crazy Like A Fox
    Dynasty
    The Equalizer
    Falcon Crest
    The Fugitive
    The Incredible Hulk
    The Invaders
    LA Law
    The Man From UNCLE
    Melrose Place
    The Streets Of San Francisco
    Thirtysomething

To name but a few.

5. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

bionics, Bionics, BIONICS! That's what I want, but will it happen? Who knows?

Six Million Dollar Man
    Bionic Woman

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Well Universal is showing the Equalizer on Universal HD and its new Slueth channel. Plus, a new theatrical movie is going into production. So I assume it will be release to coincide with the movie release.

7. John*P

John*P Second Unit

Well, I'm hoping that maybe after Shout! Factory is finished releasing the two remaining seasons of Punky Brewster on DVD, (or maybe sooner) they are able to convince Sony to let them release the Silver Spoons seasons on DVD. Sony doesn't seem interested in the series, and I think the show would do very well for Shout!. (it could potentially outsell Punky) Plus, I'd rather have Shout! release it as they would probably give us some extras, and the seasons would be released at a quicker pace than if they were released by Sony.

I'd also like to see Shout! release the complete series of "It's Your Move" on DVD.

Also, after Paramount finishes some of their current successful series on DVD, I'm hoping they finally get started on Family Ties. (which is now airing on Hallmark Channel, BTW)

8. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    Well, I'm an old geezer, and I want my Fifties and Sixties shows. So I'm hoping that after "I Love Lucy" wraps up, they'll move right on to "The Lucy Show."

Also, I'm hoping the success of "Leave It to Beaver" will increase the chances from zero to .000001 that we'll see "Father Knows Best." As great as "Beaver" is, "Father" was always the better show, and much more popular in its day.

Actually, what I fear is that what's really next on the horizon is not a bunch of new shows, but all the old ones re-released in the new high def DVD format.

My great hope for the future rests in downloading, when maybe everything will be available, even shows that ran half a year. ("Life With Lucy" anyone?)

9. Steve JD

Steve JD Stunt Coordinator

For 2006, I hope they finish up OZ (there is only one season left to go).

And I wish they would start Eight is Enough, Bionic Woman, and $6,000,000 Man...

10. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

SteveJD: Boy, we're on the same wavelength on these series [​IMG] Anyone's guess on when/if the bionic series will make it to R1 though.

11. Dan*T

Dan*T Supporting Actor

Here's my wishlist:
    Season sets only please!!

The Incredible Hulk
    Simon & Simon
    WKRP
    The Fall Guy

12. Matt Harrison

Matt Harrison Stunt Coordinator

I know The Wonder Years has been announced for region 2 release, but I would like to see a region 1 release just incase region 2 fails to fulfil expectations.