With Farscape cancelled, I wonder if the remaining episodes will be released to DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SpenceJT, Sep 7, 2002.

1. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    The series has been cancelled (unless the fans can save it). Will the remaining seasons of Farscape ever see the light of day?

2. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

What a frelling horrible way to start the day! [​IMG]
    I wonder if they have time to end the series cleanly in January?
    Andy

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Why wouldn't they release the balance of the episodes? If the current ones are selling well, they should have every reason to expect that the later ones will also. Why would the series no longer being in production make the copyright holders turn down future revenue from the DVD release? That certainly hasn't stopped the folks who own M*A*S*H or The Mary Tyler Moore Show. [​IMG]
    If anything, Farscape could become better known and more valuable if it gets out of the basic-cable ghetto and is released into broadcast syndication. And the remainder of the show may actually be released to disc that much faster than it would otherwise.
    This was probably an economic decision on Sci-Fi's part, since the show has been doing well in the ratings. Either the show was getting too expensive to produce, or one of the partners who were sharing the financial burden pulled out, and the remaining ones couldn't justify their increased shares. At this point we have no idea why they elected not to exercise their option for a fifth season.
    Whatever the reason, but especially if it was money, the odds of a "fan campaign" working to save the show are somewhere between slim and none. At this point every genre show that gets the ax generates a "save the show" campaign, usually of a few tens of thousands of letters and/or e-mails (which is well short of the million or so viewers needed to keep a show on a basic cable, miles from the tens of millions needed to keep a show on a major network.) The networks, sensibly, ignore these things. (And if they ignore letters, which take time and effort and cost money to send, think how hard they must laugh at petitions.) If Sci-Fi really loves the show, and loves the ratings, and their cancelling it because they simply can't afford it, the odds of the fans making a difference drop to zero.
    Unless one other network (UPN, Fox or the WB most likely, the majors don't take cable cast-offs) were to express interest there is pretty much no chance of the show's continuing, sad to say. And of those only the WB is a realistic possibility. Fox has Firefly coming up, and UPN won't touch a non-Trek space show.
    Regards,
    Joe

4. MichaelGH

MichaelGH Stunt Coordinator

This news is hardly surprising. After Sci-fi cancelled MST3K I pretty much gave up watching that channel..MST3K has a fiercely loyal fan base, scifi has a ton of b movies in its library to feed such a show but instead the execs decided we needed more sliders...

Hate that channel with a passion.

Michael

5. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Why o why o why?

Were the ratings that bad? Din't the dvd's sell a bunch?

I've sent my letter to Sci-Fi. Frelling idiots.

6. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I am mad! I don't know how far they are into the production of Season 4 yet, but I would guess that it's too late to turn things around to give us all a proper ending. Especially when the producers thought they had two more full seasons to tell their story.

As far as I'm concerned, this was Sci-Fi's signature show, and one of the best science fiction series ever. This is no way to treat this show, it's creators or it's fans.

They owe it to everyone to at least give us a 5th season so that things can be wrapped up properly.

Sci-Fi will be hearing from me, but I am not optimistic.

Ric

7. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

The people in Australia just finished shooting the last scene of season 4 when they found out.
    Knowing Farscape, they will leave us with one hell of a cliffhanger [​IMG]
    (I have a transcript of the chat with Ben Browder and David Kemper they hosted on the farscape.com site only a few hours after they found out. At least they give the news to the fans personally.)

8. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I sure would like to see that transcript, Kai.

Ric

9. Lawrence Davis

Lawrence Davis Stunt Coordinator

10. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

If you love farscape, save it.
    I can't believe Sci-Fi is cancelling their 2nd most popular show yet continues to run John Edward's Psychic Stupidity twice a night.
    Save Farscape Mailing info

11. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Well, considering I'm only watching the show on R2 DVD, I still have season 4 to go. And the final few episodes of season 3.

I will savour the moments.

There were even rumours of a Farscape movie. This franchises could have been BIG. Realy big. Dang, if I had the money I would fund the show myself.

I'm off to raid the local shadow-depository. Who's with me?

12. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

A letter campaign saved Star Trek TOS, if only for just one more season. But that was a long time ago. The modern network programming executive doesn't give a shit.

13. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    speechless

14. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

15. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

16. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

17. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

18. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

So, Joe, what's the best solution? Or do you think it's for best to let the show die on a high and not have a potentially terrible low-budget fifth season? (Not drawing any parallels here with any other popular science fiction series, of course...) [​IMG]

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'm 90% sure that Stargate SG-1 has reached an agreement for a 7th season, and the extra $$ required had to come from somewhere, so instead of just reducing their ep order on Farscape, they canned it.

Sci-Fi OWES it to the fans to let them do a TV movie to wrap it up

20. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Sci-Fi had nothing to do with this. The German holding company that owns Jim Henson Television decided not to finance any more episodes. How many of you can write in German? Why should they care what happens to televised SF in the U.S.?
    Petitions and letter writing campaigns don't work today. And they didn't work in the 1970s, either. They worked, once or twice, in the 1960s when television consisted of the Big Three broadcast networks, and the entire economics of the industry was different. Of what relevence is this to 2002? About as much as the military tactics of the 1940s are to a war on terror in the 21st century. Besides, the Trek campaign didn't "save TV science fiction" All it saved was Star Trek - and then only for an extra half season. Trek has been a barrier to other SF shows, not a help. The networks view Trek as its own genre, not as a representative of science fiction. And the revival of Star Trek, first as a planned TV series, then on the big screen, had exactly zip to do with fan agitation. It had everything to do with Paramount's plan to launch a 4th TV network on which they would own all the shows, and with a little film called Star Wars, which caused a Paramont Pictures exec to say, "Waitaminnit, don't we own one of those?"
    Regards,
    Joe