What's new

with both contrast & brightness down below 40% on my 51" sony HDTV, will xbox look... (1 Viewer)

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Xbox probably will look too dark and hard to play with both turned down. I'd recommend turning contrast down like you mentioned, but leave brightness (or black level) where it is or even boost it a little. The reason is that Xbox and PS2 (possibly GC, but I don't have personal experience w/it) have darker black levels than most DVD players, and brightness needs to be a little higher to see the shadow details. I have to turn brightness up by about 3-6 notches on my Mits for the PS2 compared to how I have the brightness calibrated for other sources.
I have a customer who said Xbox looked a little too dark after I calibrated his TV. I recommended he raise brightness by about 6 notches on the Xbox input, and it is working well for him.

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
On my Tosh 57HX93 I typically have my contrast set around 20. When playing Xbox I set brightness from 65 to 85, depending on ambient light. It works quite well this way.

Johnny_M

Second Unit
maybe i have mine backwards, but my brightness is 25, and my contrast is 60. i calibrated with DVE adn it looks great for dvds, for good black level but bright scenes are still bright. my xbox looks just fine on it.

Johnny

Johnny_M

Second Unit
maybe i have mine backwards, but my brightness is 25, and my contrast is 60. i calibrated with DVE adn it looks great for dvds, for good black level but bright scenes are still bright. my xbox looks just fine on it.

Johnny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks