What's new

with both contrast & brightness down below 40% on my 51" sony HDTV, will xbox look... (1 Viewer)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Why would you want to lower brightness? It doesn't damage the TV to have it up high.

Regards

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Keep contrast low and adjust brightness so you don't lose too much detail in dark areas of the screen. These 2 controls are actually sorta mislabelled anyway.

Contrast (or Picture on a Sony) is actually white level, or how bright whites are. The higher you set this the brighter whites are. Turning this up too high overdrives the phosphors on the crts and can cause burn-in with stationary images.

Brightness should more properly be called Black level, or how dark blacks are. It's sorta backwards, the lower you set this the darker blacks are.

Set contrast first at a decently low level then adjust brightness until you just start to lose detail in extremely dark parts of the picture, or better yet use a calibration disc like AVIA or Video Essentials.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
my set is calibrated with AVIA and the Xbox is a little darker than the DVD setting..I have to turn up the picture and brightness about 5 clicks on both settings for it to be perfect..I have some pictures of RS3 in my signature..one is without the flash..the difference in picture is incredible on an HDTV..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks