What's new

With all the 2-disc sets, why the need for Superbit? (1 Viewer)

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of companies are now releasing special editions with 2-discs, one for the movie, and one for the extras.
Doesn't this mean that there is more of the movie disc available for video and audio? So how will the Superbit DVDs look or sound better?
Are there any reviews out there that say what transfer rate these new DVDs use?

YANG

Screenwriter
Basically the SUPERBIT dvds are the same as other movie releases from other studios,in concept.The SUPERBIT dvs will have the main feature in one disc with two digital surround tracks and probably better visual inputs with more of that bits.
The extras will be in another discs,so the future SUPERBITS dvds will either release in special editions with 2 discs or a movie only release with only 1 disc.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Superbits
icon13.gif

I like my commentary tracks!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
This is just Columbia looking for a new market, or at least, part of the market that has gone quiet since the heyday of LaserDisc.
Speaking purely for myself, the idea of having a film with maxed-out audio and video transfers at the sake of losing commentaries and all the extras we get is very attractive. I barely get time to watch the films as it is, let alone going through the abundance of extra material.
Of course, whether or not the transfers themselves will actually look and sound appreciably better (as opposed to 'different') is another matter entirely. I have a couple of them on pre-order so I can see (and hear) for myself.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
I disagree with Rob, to a degree.
I would also like the quality of the video and the audio to be as high as possible, but not at the sake of losing commentaries. In my book, one of the most attractive features of a DVD is all the stuff that you can do on it, all the information that you can store. So audio commentaries are essential in the enjoyment of a good movie, and you don't need to be a film student to appreciate them.
Let's face it, some of us may like the concept behind the superbits DVDs, but only because we're HT-freaks, we spend thousands on HT equippment, so it makes sense that we want everything to be to the max.
But honestly, I don't think that I need a superbit whatever in order to say a movie looks awsome on DVD, there are plenty of good examples where you can have refrence-quality video and audio AND still be able to include commentaries and what not (Seven comes to mind).
------------------
Frank
DVD Collection | Website

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't it all about choices? In my opinion, the more choices that we the consumer are offered the better.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Are Superbit DVD's going to go the same route as DTS discs and be released in companion to the "normal" version or will the whole Superbit line be the only choice? From what I've seen on DVDEmpire, the Superbit DVD's slated are all previously released material (The Fifth Element, Johnny Mnemonic, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Desperado and Air Force One), so that isn't a problem. But, are they going to dive into new releases? I mean, it's getting to the point where you have 3-4 different versions of some films and 0 versions of others. If Superbits is only going to garner an audience to the extent that DTS has, then I don't see a reason for it. I would rather the studios used those resources to put out more catalogue titles.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
If Superbits is only going to garner an audience to the extent that DTS has, then I don't see a reason for it. I would rather the studios used those resources to put out more catalogue titles.
I think we'd all rather have that.
That being said, I'll be buying The Fifth Element. :)
------------------
Jason Borchers
Link Removed

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Picking up Superbit ONLY if picture quality is better. :up:
If so, I be picking up:
1) Fifth Element
2) Desperado
3) Crouching Tiger

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I'm with Rob, I don't have enough time to watch all the features let alone the entire film again with commentary on. And, the primary reason I buy DVD's is for the movie so I want it to be presented with the best video and audio. The extras are just that, extras.
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Are the SuperBits releases just titles that they didn't have any extras for, so they gussied it up to make it look like they did it on purpose?
That seems to be the case for The Fifth Element. What about the others?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks