WITCHFINDER GENERAL Coming to Region DVD in August?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by AlanBrom, Apr 24, 2005.

1. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

According to a recent article, Phillip Wadilove, producer of WITCHFINDER GENERAL/CONQUEROR WORM stated at a Hollywood screening that MGM has restored the film and will be releasing it on DVD in August! Here is a quote: "I thank MGM-UA profusely for the wonderful work they’ve done on our movie. We look forward to August of this year, when they release it for the first time in the United States on DVD."

Of course it's possible that Sony might have stopped the release. Here is the full article: http://hollywoodgothique.bravejournal.com/entry/10433http://hollywoodgothique.bravejournal.com/entry/10433

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Cool news - I've got the R2 DVD, but it ain't the greatest. I'd be happy to upgrade if MGM does this release right.

3. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

I'm sure MGM had every intention of releasing this the right way, but I'd bet my DVD collection that we won't see this officially announced for August.

4. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

Unfortunately I have to agree. Sony is so incompetent that they could screw up a free lunch. I can see why Sony is doing so poorly.

5. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

MGM should be announcing their August schedule, but I seriously doubt we'll see any Midnite Movies listed.

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yeah, Sony hates classic horror and dislikes budget releases so I doubt we'll see any more Midnite Movies. It was fun while it lasted, but I'll make do with the R2 Witchfinder.

7. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

Despite the negativity around fandom, I've heard nothing about a discontinuation of the series, and if I were a betting man, I'd bet that the Midnite Movie series will continue.

8. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

I do hope you're right Laurence! Even if it continues, I have a feeling we won't be seeing any this August.

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

You are correct, Laurence: there has been no official word on the Midnite Movies series being dropped. But, I just can't see Columbia releasing the films that MGM released, uncut/restored, with extras, etc all for very low prices. It just doesn't swing with how Columbia treat their 'cult' titles (I hate that term).

As far as catalogue titles go, Sony bought MGM/UA for James Bond, Rocky, Sergio Leone films, etc, not low-budget, obscure horror films from the 60s and 70s. They are not aware that many of those movies are excellent and loved by many, many people. In my eyes, Columbia's attitude is too mainstream to cater for fans of vintage horror and sci-fi.

I hope I am totally wrong on this.

10. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Some things do not bode well for Witchfinder General's possible release in August:
    1) Those comments were made March 2005 and the sale was not made official till April 2005
    2) I doubt that Wadilove would know for sure if WG was coming in August with the potential change of players at Sony and his contacts may be out of jobs soon.
    3) This was never an official announcment.

From what I've gleaned from anonymous sources, any DVD that was offically announced by MGM will probably still be on track from Sony since they may have already been manufactured. I too, like Gordon, hope that I'm totally wrong.

11. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

>>In my eyes, Columbia's attitude is too mainstream to cater for fans of vintage horror and sci-fi.
    ----

ya got that right!

12. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I knew that MGM had tentatively scheduled it for a long-in-the-works future Midnight Movies release - my guess though is that those current plans will have been shafted with the expulsion of much of the key MGM staff responsible for these titles. Was it DVD Savant who wrote how many MGM folk were basically just given clear signs that their Sony counterparts would be moving in to take over their positions. I can see Sony scratching their head over the Midnight Movies series in meetings ("How big is the market for... what do you call it... 'Hammer' stuff?") and I wouldn't be surprised if the Leone SE's drift andf float for months. Check how nicely Sony treated STARMAN (out for years in a nice Region 2 and 4 SE, but no such luck in Region 1) for a possible taste of their fun plans for cult product re any future Midnight Movies titles. I bet they shaft THE HUNTING PARTY too before MGM's scheduled disc of it streets.

13. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Bumping this as now in August and no sign of the DVD.
    I guess Sony buying MGM has pushed this off the radar ?

Was hoping for a better version as have the UK release which has only passable PQ with the extended scenes virtually unwatchable they are so poor.

14. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

You would think that they would release it sooner or later since the work has already been done and paid for. The thing that I worry about is it being overpriced. They seem to start out at $24.95 ala the Godzilla series, and the Harryhausen films. We may have to prepare to be gouged.

15. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

I wouldn't worry too much about the pricing. I bought the new MGM/Sony discs of HOWLING II and SWAMP THING and they still have MGM's standard packaging, just with a little Sony symbol on the bottom of the back cover. Best of all, they still are carrying the low sale price.

So, I don't think we have to worry about high prices, only if and when WITCHFINDER GENERAL will be released and when we will see some "new" Midnite Movies."

16. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I seriously doubt SONY would even bother to announce the end of the MGM MMs-