Witches Hammer DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ron Schildt, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Ron Schildt

Ron Schildt Agent

Believe it or not, besides DVD's, people still read for entertainment.

Just started reading the "Da Vinci Code" and saw a reference to the "Witches Hammer" which a film version from 1969 is being released on 3/16/2004.

Haven't heard or seen anything about this. Anyone have any info?

2. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

I haven't read "The Da Vinci Code" yet, but might the "Witch's Hammer" it refers to be the Malleus Maleficarum? The Malleus Maleficarum was a medieval document used by the church to persecute witches.

Info here: http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/mmtoc.html

Presumably, the movie deals with this subject as well.

3. Ron Schildt

Ron Schildt Agent

Joshua - While reading the book I've been having to search the internet to figure out some of the references (especially to see pictures of some of the paintings they talk about).

You're correct that it deals with Malleus Maleficarum. When I did a search on this, I saw the DVD/VHS movie from 1969 being released in a few weeks. I assumed it dealt with the same subject also, but wondered if anyone had seen the movie before. Most sites don't have a very good description of the DVD as far as format, reviews, etc.

Looking for someone that may have seen it back when it was originally released. However, it may have been a foreign film, so maybe it was never released in the US back in the late 1960's or early 1970's.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Here's some info on the film. Don't know much about the film though - I saw it on DVD Empire's upcoming list, so I thought I'd do some digging to see if it's a quality film of just some schlock. Sounds like it might be worth picking up.:
    Thanks for the link, Joshua. A few years back I spent a few weeks trying to track down a copy of that book. It's quite a surprise that the full text is just a few clicks away.

-Dave

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Does anyone have this DVD? IMDb states it was shot in 2.35:1 - is the transfer 2.35:1 anamorphic? It's from Facets, so I'm wary.

6. Karl F

Karl F Stunt Coordinator

I've got it here at the store. Let's see...

Hm, the sleeve says that it's a full frame transfer, but the actual movie is widescreen...looks like maybe 1.78:1?

I only watched a minute or so -- transfer looks eh-to-fair.

--K

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Thanks, Karl. [​IMG]