witch pre amp to buy?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bryan Michael, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i am looking for a good pre-amp to go with my adcom 7607

i am looking at
    adcom 880
    rotel 1098
    anthem 20

i cant find a place with 2 of these and i cant find a local dealer with the adcom. also no dealer will lend me one to do a in home demo. and all have a 15% restocking fee.

also is it a waste to pay for the balanced in/outs if i am not going to use them?

thanks

2. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

The Anthem unit price is close to the Rotel and most folks are very complementary of the music, theater performance, and flexibility of the Anthem. The Rotel unit is newer and has been reviewed less. But the previous Rotel pre/pro got excellent reviews and the 1098 is supposed to be better. The Sunfire Theater Grand is also in this price range and is an excellent performer.

Any features that you will not use (like balanced inputs and outputs) are wasteful if you can get a comparable unit without them for less. If not, don't sweat the extra features, you might use them in the future.

If hockey town USA is Detroit, you should be able to find a dealer for all of these units in town. Try the manufacturer's website and look for a dealer locator or send them an e-mail and ask for local dealers. It's important to audition the units before making a several thousand dollar choice.

MT

3. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

thanks for the reply and i will be looking at the sunfire
    amp now.

4. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

If you're in Detroit,take a drive over to Windsor and buy the Anthem.Since they are made in Canada we seem to get a little better deal.

Shawn