1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Witch of these centers would match my bostons best?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Definitive Technologies, Kef, or infinity? My boston center is blown so.... I need to send it to service. My service tech said it could be 2 months or more. I dont want to wait that long. So I may just return it. Im not sure. If I do will another center channel work good? Or should I do one for now then when the boston gets back pick it back up again?

I can get a Kef Q9C, a def tech CLR-2002, or an infinity Alpha 37C. What do you guys think. I want to do this today. Also klipsch. The reason I need these is because it will be store credit.

2. Jesse Sharrow

Well here is the thing. Now Im not sure... like always. Boston said I can just send the midrange out to them and they will replace it. But that costs money... that I dont have. Or I could send the whole speaker back through the store. If I send just the midrange it will take as quickly as I can get it sent but I have to pay for that. If I send the whole speaker through the store my service tech said it should be at least 2 months.

OR.... I could just return it and buy a different center right now. But it wouldnt be a boston.

Opinions.....

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

how do you blow a center channel speaker? or better yet, WHY?

is this a temporary "fix" or will it be permanent? i realize soundtrack no longer sells bostons, but don't you want to match your fronts?

otherwise, take a floor model or two home and try it out. see how well it matches.

4. John_F

John_F Stunt Coordinator

Jesse,

Did you try running in "Phantom" center mode? Try it you may like it.

Good luck,
    John Flegert

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

oh yeah, forgot that. definitely just run a "phantom" center, if this is temporary.

6. Jesse Sharrow

Well I acctually received it blown. I bought it used as a floor model. I think I decided im at least going to try the definitive center. See how it does.

7. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

If you bought it as the shop floor model it should have been sold in perfect working order.

I bought a Kef centre & NHT dipoles ex-demo- if any of the drivers were damaged he would get new drivers in (and replace them) before selling them off to me.

8. Jesse Sharrow

Well I work for the company I bought it from. We dont carry boston anymore... so if I send it off its going to take a long time. Because they are mad at us. We dropped them.

I am going to get the infinity Alpha 37C or a Definitive Technologies Pro Center C2. I am not sure how I want to do this.

Everyone says these wont match my bostons very well. So my wife said if she can tell that they dont match very well we can talk about redoing the whole thing. So I dont know wich way I want to go.

If I do the Infinity thats proably what I will replace my whole system with later. I will have money left over for other stuff regardless. Cables... etc.

I dont know if she will let me just replace my whole front stage. I think Im going to commit the Infinity now and pick it up tommorrow.

9. JohnSmith

Why not just buy the replacement driver(s) that have blown?

Be cheaper than selling off your front soundstage, then re-buying something else.

What you're asking doesn't make any sense! If I blew a treble driver for my Kef 200 would I sell off the 2.2's? NO!

If it's going to take a while getting the speaker fixed why not just pick up a centre from ebay? (that'll do for time being)- there's a Kef 90 (reference driver- far superior to the terrible standard Q drivers) on ebay.com

The Kef Q9c sounds terrible IMO.. wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

10. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

hehehe. mine sounds fine, but it would not be my recommendation in this instance.

11. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    Which not Witch Jesse.

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Jesse,
    Going with another brand is not a good idea. You should just pony up the dough and get it fixed. You might try to mess with your crossover a bit and try to filter out some of the bass going to it as that might cause the sound to be a problem. I had a blown center than I didn't get fixed until I just replaced it and it never was a problem unless a bassy movie was being played.

Pony up the $$, make due with what you have and work around it or go with a phantom mode center for now until you get some cash. I would go with any of those over buying a new center. Your patience will be rewarded I assure you.

13. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Jesse,

I recently sent a driver to BA, and their turnaround time was excellent (they 2 day aired it the same day they received the bad driver). BTW, are you outside the warranty? The reason I ask is that the only cost to me was the shipping to them.

-Robb

14. Jesse Sharrow

Well I picked up the Infinity Alpha 37C today. It sounds kinda odd. I dont know. It doesnt acoustically match perfect.... Close... but not close enough. It sounds awsome though... alot more detailed then the boston was.

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Well Duh. It will sound different. Then again are you comparing the "more detailed" one to a one with a blown driver/tweeter? Or are you comparing it to your audible memory of what your Boston sounded like in the past?

As I said, I'd send off the other and go for the timbre match. Then again if you are making a fair comparison, then you might actually like the "Infinity Sound' more than the sound of your Bostons... then the Upgrade cycle continues..

16. JohnSmith

17. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i think they probably do have that speaker on the floor in the showroom where he works.

18. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Jesse....I am trying VERY hard not to say here we go again but.......I just did....
    No offence but I am very confused. You work at a store that used to deal with Boston. From what I remember you have 950's and you just picked up the 920 pretty recently. Now you say that your center speaker was blown when you bought it. Now you are trying to get a different speaker that will match your mains while you wait for your driver replacement? Am I correct so far? If I am then I think you should find a new job. The place should heve not sold you that speaker damaged without first getting it fixed AND they should have given you a loaner.....even from a different company....in the meantime. I don't think I will ever shop at that place as they do not sound too honest!!
    Why didn't you just contact Boston personaly without mentioning where you work. Rob said earlier that he had a great experience with them. If I were you call Boston ASAP and see what they can do. Then wait for the driver and fix it. Then bring back that speaker.
    Like someone said, how can you compare the 2 centers if one was busted?!? You do not need to replace your mains......do you really want to go through all of this again. You have great speakers and just hit a small pothole....with patience you will be on the raod again. My final advice is to sit back and enjoy your system....no matter what it is......you can literaly drive yourself nuts with the hole upgrade thing.
    I hope this helped. I am not trying to be condescending so I apologize if that is how I came accross. Good luck.

19. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

yeah. i've been biting my lip too, so to speak. but i am a bit confused, as well.

didn't you just spend some bucks on a great new sub trying to get your system how you want it? and now you want to create a "franken-system"?!?!?!?

i don't get it. from what i remember of pix you posted, your BA center looked quite nice. i would want to get that fixed.