What's new

Wisteria (David Lynch / Netflix) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
...Hell yes:
David Lynch has been an entertaining pandemic fixture for the past few months, posting "What's David Up To?" videos and weather reports on his YouTube page.

But now, the famously experimental auteur is reportedly working on a new project for Netflix with the working title Wisteria, according to Welcome To Twin Peaks.

According to the fan site, the new series is written and directed by Lynch, and frequent collaborator Sabrina S. Sutherland is set to produce. Industry trade Production Weekly, meanwhile, notes that the project has a start date of May 2021.

Twin_Peaks.gif

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Looks like the new title of the show is actually going to be "Unrecorded Night" -- could an admin change the thread-title to reflect this? (Thanks!)

Netflix might no longer be involved, which sucks, just because I know the funding would have been there, and that everyone and their mom could have watched it at the same time, as opposed to The Return. I'm betting Lynch was unwilling to allow his show to have all episodes available at once. He wasn't happy with Showtime and Hulu making the first four Twin Peaks season three episodes available for streaming on premiere-night; the same with having the last two episodes air together on the same night.

But, I get that reasoning. By going a weekly route, it allows audiences to really absorb one episode at a time. Once an episode finishes, they can start to reflect on what they had just watched. Binge-watching doesn't necessarily allow that.

(...Oh, yeah, several crew have popped up on IMDB, and all of them worked on Twin Peaks: The Return. Not that that means a whole lot; Lynch likes working with his usuals. But you know, it COULD mean something.)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think week by week is best for a work like this. If it comes out all at once, I know I won’t have the discipline to wait, and I also know one of the great joys of Twin Peaks was having a week to sit with each episode and think about what it was trying to do and how it was making me feel. Figuring out plot points took a backseat to allowing the mood of the piece to wash over me, and I think that’s vital with Lynch. Otherwise, if it had been watched all at once, my brain might have been compelled to reduce it down to a log line that wouldn’t do justice to the work.

I did like that they premiered four at once and two at the end. After waiting so many years, I think that was the right call.

Netflix has done shows on the week to week model and they tend to offer both more money and more freedom than other outlets, so I certainly see an advantage to working there. I just can’t imagine anyone else putting up as much money with as relatively few strings as they will. I doubt Showtime would; The Return was brilliant but it underperformed for them relative to what they spent.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'd love it if one of the boutiques would release a BD (or even DVD) set of On the Air. I have the Japanese LD set, but I need to get a new LD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks