What's new

Wishing CBS Would Start A CBS Archive MOD (1 Viewer)

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I wish CBS Paramount would start an archive MOD like the Warners Brothers Archive. CBS has so many shows that are stalled like Cannon, Barnaby Jones, etc.. Also CBS has the rights to lots of shows that have not been released at all. MOD is better than nothing in my opinion. One of the biggest disappointments to me has been the lack of respect CBS has showed Cannon. Nearly every CBS show that has been released has been HD remastered. However, CBS never remastered Cannon and that is a shame. I do thank CBS for releasing 3 Seasons of Cannon on DVD. Cannon not remastered is still better than no Cannon at all! However, I wish CBS would show Cannon more respect! Just my opinion! The Warner Archives has released so many TV shows,, TV Movies, and movies the past few years. It is great what Warners is doing. I wish CBS would do the same. CBS has so much that needs to be released! An Archive Program like Warners would greatly increase the chances of everyone getting most of their wishes fulfilled I believe!

God Bless!

Robert

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
CBS/P HAS been releasing some stuff MoD through Amazon.... a season of Dave's World, a couple seasons of Becker, When Things Were Rotten, some Cannon. Plus the Nickelodeon shows.

But it's never really amounted to much, and their MoD library is nowhere near as large as WB's. Plus, no pressed discs.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Since they are apparently being very active this year on moving away from retail releases I think we will see a more full fledged Mod service from CBS starting next year that will include MOD DVD's and Downloads. This would also allow them an easy way to offer streaming as Warner Archive has done. So I think many of the stalled shows will continue through their MOD service. There is still money to made on discs plus downloads and streaming are the future so it only makes sense for them to go this route. I can't see them just giving up and going out of bussiness when there are other options.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Doesn't matter too much to me that it's not pressed, it's preferable perhaps (or standard DVD) but ultimately it's more important just to see something rare released. Hiding it away forever in vaults is almost insane, which is Fox' method to name one studio's participation sorely lacking in this MOD business. CBS have plenty of cult shows fans would want; The Magician, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Serpico, etc. I'm still amazed how Mannix got the red carpet treatment, thought more like it would follow but I'm pleased to see Barbary Coast coming and Gentle Ben out (which I've bought) only wish they'd understand the need for more MOD action with lesser known titles. -Of which I frankly would've counted the aforementioned Barbary Coast.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
JoeDoakes said:
Given that the Warner Archive has apparenlty been very successful, I continue to be surprised that no one has copied it.
Warner Archive has been so successful because they do almost everything in-house. They make the discs. They ship the discs to consumers. They handle customer service. They handle advertising and publicity.

Sony came the closest to matching what Warner Archive does, but even they eventually shut down the Sony Classics by Request website they started.

It's not easy running a MOD business the way Warner Archive does.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
But the other studios aren't exactly small businesses either they could too if they wanted to, but it shows how little they apparently care for their own back catalogs.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
It's unlikely CBS could do an MOD program as well as Warner, at least initially. But there are a few shows I would like to have from them still so I'd be willing to settle for less, even if it meant the DVDs weren't as well done as Warner's. I'd gladly take the final 2 seasons of Cannon if it just matched the pitiful form in which CBS released season 3 via MOD. And even though the one season of Barnaby Jones they've released looked a lot better than the treatment they gave Cannon, I'd settle for the lower standard just to have some more seasons of Barnaby. CBS, are you out there? I'll give you a lot of money if you'll give me more seasons of my two favorite shows. My daughter can start college next year.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Warner Archive has been so successful because they do almost everything in-house. They make the discs.

I thought Create Space makes the WB MODS and lots of others in North Carolina. Create Space is an Amazon Co.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
moviepas said:
Warner Archive has been so successful because they do almost everything in-house. They make the discs.

I thought Create Space makes the WB MODS and lots of others in North Carolina. Create Space is an Amazon Co.
I stand corrected. They do create the MOD discs for WAC nowadays. I'm not sure if it was different when WAC first started.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
On a recent visit to the Warner Archive website, I noticed that they now distribute various films from Paramount Pictures- is this a new acquisition?! I know they distribute films from MGM & Sony but I do not recall seeing Paramount content on their website?! Interesting to note that these films are being released under the 'Archive Collection' banner, while Sony (Sony Pictures Choice Collection) and MGM (MGM Limited Edition) content is being released under their own respective banners.

Since they have partnered up on the movie side, why not a partnership to release various Paramount TV series as well?! I think a partnership with Warner Archive would be easier then Paramount starting up their own MOD service from scratch, depending on whether WB is interested in such a partnership.

http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/code/paramountwac_wacshop.do?ref=leftnavPARAMOUNThome

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just my opinion, but I think CBS and WB have slightly different agenda's here. My take with CBS is that they are trying to future proof their catalog by remastering to HD for future HD syndication. There is no other reason for them to go to all this trouble just for DVD releases. I think all the DVD (and soon to be Blu-ray) releases is nothing more than a way to provide the needed capital to help along this effort. If you look back at some of their decision making, I think you can start seeing some patterns of how they have tried different approaches along the way.

First off is the number of shows they have taken to remastering in HD, as indicated in the CBS syndication bible. This takes time and effort to perform and capital to keep things going. We hear about them green-lighting certain shows each year, and it always seems like some drop off as not being fiscally approved. They appear to have a clear budget, which is most likely dependent on the overall sales from the previous year.

They've had severe music issues early on with MTS, Fugitive, and Odd Couple. They appear to have learned their lesson to a degree since they fixed the Fugitive and the amount of replacements seem much more minimal in more recent releases. The Odd Couple was finished and may not be revisited for a while, while MTS is presently stalled.

The Love Boat had all season remastered, but yet only two season released, I think they learned from this not to remaster until you know what your return is going to be. Since then it appears they remaster one season at a time, release the season, and re-evaluate for the next year so that they can try and maximize what comes in.

They played with MOD. Why Cannon went MOD I have no clue, but by going MOD it shows a lack of interest in that show for future HD syndication. Or maybe they were just trying for a quick strike at cash like pushing out Rawhide S4 and Bonanza S2 without remastering, but the fall out was negative since we've come to expect much higher standards than that.

We've seen shows like PJ and BH come out of no where with remastered releases after being stalled for quite sometime, and even other shows like Rawhide had moments of being stalled, and it is now about to be completed.

Now you also have the new Blu-rays of previously remastered and released on DVD shows like I Love Lucy, and TAGS, and the Honeymooners. These are cash grabs since the majority of the work has already been done.

What I take from all this is that CBS is more interested in systematically remastering the most marketable aspects of its catalog, and to do so they are selective on what is next up for release based on what revenue can be generated, and not necessarily based on finishing up shows previously started or in any orderly sequence with regards to a show, or in going back and fixing misfires that won't have a high return on investment the next go around. While it may all appear random to us, I think the secret formula for CBS is to milk a series that sells well, but then immediately stall it when the sales fall off a bit, then resurrect it a few years later to stimulated sales after the hiatus. This could explain the latest releases of PJ and BH, and why Bonanza will stall after season 7, as well as why even Gunsmoke might stall at some point. The only clear automatic money maker would appear to be Star Trek, and they seem to be investing a fair amount of time and energy with that right now as well.

For CBS to completely give up on a series where they have already done some remastering would be admitting it won't be worth selling in future HD syndication. That is why I believe the majority of the shows like Bonanza, Gunsmoke, BH, PJ, and even MTS will be completed at some point. Those that have never been remastered are in question as are possibly those with only one season done (e.g., Barnaby Jones).

So if you buy into any of that, you won't want CBS to start a MOD program to include any of the stalled series that have undergone any remastering since a better release could be coming down the road at some point. Shows that fall outside that, sure, but I just don't see CBS really promoting the MOD route too much because I don't think they will generate what they are looking for financially, and I don't think those shows fit into their future syndication plans. My prediction is more Star Trek, and more Blu-ray releases of previously remastered shows, and a continuous trickling out of some of these series still making their way through the process (whichever show the most sales potential at the time).

Only time will tell.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
Since they have partnered up on the movie side, why not a partnership to release various Paramount TV series as well?! I think a partnership with Warner Archive would be easier then Paramount starting up their own MOD service from scratch, depending on whether WB is interested in such a partnership.
Because Paramount doesn't control any of it's old TV properties anymore - when Paramount/CBS split, CBS got ALL the TV properties - CBS,Viacom,Paramount and Spelling.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
JamesSmith said:
I wish Fox had the MOD department, rather than CBS-Paramount?the old twentieth century studio had some great tv shows and movies that might be lost otherwise.Jthree

You are so right. I hold out hope for Fox to do this. They did come on board with feature films MOD so perhaps we shall see something from Fox TV productions.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
DeWilson said:
Because Paramount doesn't control any of it's old TV properties anymore - when Paramount/CBS split, CBS got ALL the TV properties - CBS,Viacom,Paramount and Spelling.
Are they still in the same corporate family?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
JoeDoakes said:
Are they still in the same corporate family?
No, two separate companies that National Amusements (Sumner Redstone) owns controlling stocks in. This is why the STAR TREK property is split - CBS kept the TV Rights and Licencing through CBS Consumer products and Paramount Has the Film Rights. One can veto the other's projects.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
smithbrad said:
Just my opinion, but I think CBS and WB have slightly different agenda's here. My take with CBS is that they are trying to future proof their catalog by remastering to HD for future HD syndication. There is no other reason for them to go to all this trouble just for DVD releases. I think all the DVD (and soon to be Blu-ray) releases is nothing more than a way to provide the needed capital to help along this effort. If you look back at some of their decision making, I think you can start seeing some patterns of how they have tried different approaches along the way.

First off is the number of shows they have taken to remastering in HD, as indicated in the CBS syndication bible. This takes time and effort to perform and capital to keep things going. We hear about them green-lighting certain shows each year, and it always seems like some drop off as not being fiscally approved. They appear to have a clear budget, which is most likely dependent on the overall sales from the previous year.

They've had severe music issues early on with MTS, Fugitive, and Odd Couple. They appear to have learned their lesson to a degree since they fixed the Fugitive and the amount of replacements seem much more minimal in more recent releases. The Odd Couple was finished and may not be revisited for a while, while MTS is presently stalled.

The Love Boat had all season remastered, but yet only two season released, I think they learned from this not to remaster until you know what your return is going to be. Since then it appears they remaster one season at a time, release the season, and re-evaluate for the next year so that they can try and maximize what comes in.

They played with MOD. Why Cannon went MOD I have no clue, but by going MOD it shows a lack of interest in that show for future HD syndication. Or maybe they were just trying for a quick strike at cash like pushing out Rawhide S4 and Bonanza S2 without remastering, but the fall out was negative since we've come to expect much higher standards than that.

We've seen shows like PJ and BH come out of no where with remastered releases after being stalled for quite sometime, and even other shows like Rawhide had moments of being stalled, and it is now about to be completed.

Now you also have the new Blu-rays of previously remastered and released on DVD shows like I Love Lucy, and TAGS, and the Honeymooners. These are cash grabs since the majority of the work has already been done.

What I take from all this is that CBS is more interested in systematically remastering the most marketable aspects of its catalog, and to do so they are selective on what is next up for release based on what revenue can be generated, and not necessarily based on finishing up shows previously started or in any orderly sequence with regards to a show, or in going back and fixing misfires that won't have a high return on investment the next go around. While it may all appear random to us, I think the secret formula for CBS is to milk a series that sells well, but then immediately stall it when the sales fall off a bit, then resurrect it a few years later to stimulated sales after the hiatus. This could explain the latest releases of PJ and BH, and why Bonanza will stall after season 7, as well as why even Gunsmoke might stall at some point. The only clear automatic money maker would appear to be Star Trek, and they seem to be investing a fair amount of time and energy with that right now as well.

For CBS to completely give up on a series where they have already done some remastering would be admitting it won't be worth selling in future HD syndication. That is why I believe the majority of the shows like Bonanza, Gunsmoke, BH, PJ, and even MTS will be completed at some point. Those that have never been remastered are in question as are possibly those with only one season done (e.g., Barnaby Jones).

So if you buy into any of that, you won't want CBS to start a MOD program to include any of the stalled series that have undergone any remastering since a better release could be coming down the road at some point. Shows that fall outside that, sure, but I just don't see CBS really promoting the MOD route too much because I don't think they will generate what they are looking for financially, and I don't think those shows fit into their future syndication plans. My prediction is more Star Trek, and more Blu-ray releases of previously remastered shows, and a continuous trickling out of some of these series still making their way through the process (whichever show the most sales potential at the time).

Only time will tell.
Brad,

Thanks for the thoughtful analysis. I think you've pointed out where my disappointment comes from. I want CBS to care as much about my favorite shows as I do, but they are a business, and have to do what will allow them to continue as a business, I don't begrudge them that, but it means I have to accept reality. I think the way you have framed things is probably very close to that reality, but I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed that I might someday see the rest of the shows I care about. And in the meantime, enjoy all the shows on dvd that I have been able to purchase from CBS so far, because they have released a lot of great stuff.
Glenn

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
What collector wants downloads? All that is is renting. People are so stupid they would take convenience over ownership. Forget that nonsense. That's why I detest eBooks. You don't own anything.
Best post I've seen in a long time. Problem is, there is no such thing as collectors any more amongst young people. All they care about is watching or listening to something and they couldn't care less about owning it. They'd rather hear a poorer quality MP3 than buy a CD or LP. And don't get me started on people watching things on their 2 inch screen on their phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks