What's new

Wiseguy-Vol. 4 Question (1 Viewer)

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I'm fine with the sets, for the most part, but this 4th set has to be the biggest screw up in the history of DVD. I can't think of anything bigger off the top of my head. No show audio? How in the world did these discs get to the replication stage without ONE person checking out that 4th disc?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Cannell puts these sets together just like they do for the Anchor Bay distributed shows. StudiosWorks and Anchor Bay are the ones getting these to stores, but aren't involved in the production of the sets. If anything you should be asking how StudioWorks and Anchor Bay could put their names on such shoddy product from Cannell. I've already mentioned this to the PR company that handles both Anchor Bay and StudioWorks, and I hope they pass the message on to the companies. It's their names appearing on the sets, and consumers are blaming them for the quality.

Gord

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I received a response from Ventura Distribution. Here's the response with my e-mail (I wonder if Best Buy would actually refund my $$$ on an opened set):

Brandon,

You should return the product to the place where you purchased this title.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 11:08 AM
To: Sales Info from Website
Subject: Wiseguy Set #4

This probably isn't the correct contact address, but maybe you can point me in the right direction...

The recently released fourth Wiseguy DVD set is defective. The fourth disc contains two episodes that contain no show audio. Are there any current known plans to recall the discs or offer corrected replacements to consumers who have already purchased the set?

Thanks,

Brandon Fisher

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

To the best of my knowledge, Best Buy will only allow you to exchange open product for the same product, and only with a receipt.
I am beginning to doubt replacement discs will be issued. It's unfortunate that the fans who supported the series and the DVD releases are the ones that end up getting royally screwed by Cannell Productions, whom we keep in business with our money and tv ratings. The poor quality of this set may explain the lower price, with the studio figuring that we got a deal on it, so we shouldn't complain. It's hard to say what the mentality is over there, but one thing is for sure: this doesn't bode well for the DVD release of "Greatest American Hero" and "Hunter".
Unless they fix these discs, I will not support any further releases by the Cannell company, "Wiseguy" or otherwise, which makes me sad and frustrated, but you know the old saying...
"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me..."

Louis_P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad it was delayed by a week in Canada,so my pre-order from amazon.ca hasn't shipped out.Man what a stupid response to write back.Saying to return it to the place you bought it.No explanation if some discs were faulty or if they will replace it.:thumbsdown:

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the feedback. You're right that the disdain should be directed to the appropriate source. I've seen other product by these companies that I consider substandard, but perhaps that's just because they deal with companies too small to do distribution themselves.

I noticed the same "no Closed Captions" problem on the Billy Jack set distributed by these folks.

I wrote to them long ago when the DVD's were first in conception (I saw it being discussed on kenwahl.com) to make sure they'd Close Caption them. I directed them to a place that would do it not too expensively if they didn't already have the Closed Captions (I don't remember if it was broadcast with CC's). They wrote back not even knowing what CC's were. The e-mail was entertaining in that it was forwarded around to several folks before one forwarded it to me with their response. I saw everything everyone had to say along the way. They never said, "that's up to Cannell". I did also write to Cannell about it.

Anyway, as I said... I'm glad those of you who are enjoying the set have it, but it was a huge disappointment to me in all kinds of ways (arcs vs. seasons, modified music, no CC's, and QC issues), and I'm sorry to say I don't (and won't) own the set.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
How the hell does this pass THX certification! Why the hell does this even go through THX certification! THX mastering for a 15 year old TV show seems like a bit of overkill.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

They made a mistake (surprise!) on the set: it didn't go through THX certification, it went through SUX certification--I'm sure they'll get around to correcting it really soon :angry:

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I got a followup e-mail from Ventura Distribution, which I thought was pretty nice since the last e-mail had appeared to be a final response.

The response said:

"Brandon,

We have contacted the studio about the problems but have not received any direction on how they will address getting the disc mailed out to those who purchased it."

That begs the question... does that mean Cannell is planning on redoing the disc? There would have to be a corrected disc in order to have to address how to mail them out... I hope so.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I got more info from Ventura after further inquiring about Cannell's plans:

"Brandon,

They're working on it and we have your e-mail address in our system. As soon as they figured out how they are going to rectify the problem. They'll contact you and ask you for your address and contact info."

While it would've been nice to have had the problem not occur at all, that sounds good enough for me if Cannell follows through.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Wow, that's some good news, Brandon...I still have yet to hear anything back from either Cannell or Ventura, but at least now I'm encouraged.
I still think it may come down to the volume of people who are requesting they fix the discs. If they don't receive enough requests, I fear they may hold off on doing anything.

Keep us posted if you hear anything more! Thanks!

BrandonJF

Second Unit

I hadn't mentioned those two issues - I had only checked out disc 4, so far, so I didn't have any first hand knowledge of the issues on those discs.

The contact e-mail I had used was : [email protected]

The person who has been responding has been very good to deal with.

At the same time, as has been pointed out, this is very much a Cannell Studios issue. Ventura Distribution just seems to have better luck getting in contact with them. I did try to e-mail Cannell as well, but have yet to hear anything from them.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well until they go back and fix the missing music on Vol. 1, Wiseguy will go down as the most disappointing dvd release ever, for me.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

This was noted in an above post.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are they going to fix the video on the episode on disc one or the audio on disc three or both?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hadn't mentioned those two issues - I had only checked out disc 4, so far, so I didn't have any first hand knowledge of the issues on those discs.

My bad, I meant disc 4 here.

Brian_Linnen

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff (and everyone else)

I received an email today from Studioworks offering to send me replacement discs. Hopefully you did too.
Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Brian

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
That's good news, Brian; I, too, received a Studioworks email, along with an email from a Tony at Ventura Distribution (the main company), both requesting my information so they can send me replacement discs. They used the plural term, DISCS, so hopefully that means they have corrected the video problem on ep.3, disc 1, and the audio problem on disc 4. I can deal with the other minor problems, like the wrong intro on the DC arc, and the replaced music on the various episodes (grudgingly so).

They didn't indicate they wanted me to send the old set back, so I'm curious if they'll send the discs out without requesting the old set or a receipt or anything. No word, either, if they will recall the bad sets that are in the stores.

I'm encouraged by their response, so we'll see what happens next. I would also urge anyone else who has the bad discs to contact them, too, to arrange for replacements.

Hi Jeff or Brian,
can you post the Studioworks email and the Tony at Ventura email so I can get my replacements!
THANKS<
Tom

JeffMeyer

Auditioning
Jeff and Brandon -- thanks for the heads up -- it is greatly appreciated.

I sent an e-mail to the Ventura Distribution e-mail address a few days ago, and got a nice note back from Tony, specifying the e-mail address you posted above, and what information to send.

I'll wait and see how well StudioWorks handles this; frankly, if they replace Disk 4 with something that allows me to hear the soundtrack to the two episodes, I'll be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks