What's new

Wiseguy - remaining seasons? (1 Viewer)

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
With the unfortunate and frustrating practice many companies have of releasing only one or two seasons of a show and not any remaining seasons leaving the fans hanging, I ask with some trepidation, does anyone know if StudioWorks and S. Cannell Prod. have plans to release the remainder of Wiseguy?

Seems a real shame for an emmy winning and innovative series to languish like this.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Even more of a shame that Cannell is so cheap that all of his releases have edits and cuts due to him not even investigating music rights. As I've already decided to just transfer my off-air SP masters of the show from CBS, I don't really care what they do with this. A shame they couldn't have released it intact.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
MIA were the music arc from season 2, the Lynchboro and Public Poison arcs from season 3, and the entire 4th season with Steven Bauer. Not to mention the little-seen 1996 TV movie with Wahl and company.

However, I'm almost glad Ventura Distribution did not put these out. Between the shoddy quality control on the 4th set (bad prints on 1 episode, commentary-only soundtracks on 2 others) and Cannell's penchant for music replacement, the series was not being well-served. I got tired of the frustration and the wait and burned my own VHS recordings to DVD of the remaining episodes and the TV-movie, then packaged them with the existing sets on my shelf.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I recently posted this in an earlier topic, but to repeat it again....

Half of the WISEGUY series has been released on DVD so far. In the second set (Mel & Susan Profitt arc), there was a color ad brochure included that promised the entire series would be released in 6 sets. Well, we got four of them so far and this goes beyond music rights. Studio Works lied to us in that brochure.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
StudioWorks, which is owned by Ventura Distribution, and the company making the Wiseguy DVD's, appears to exist no more. The official websites for both companies are gone. I seem to recall a recent posting on tvshowsondvd.com that stated Ventura, owner of not only StudioWorks but also Urbanworks (who released the Cosby Show Season 1), was purchased by First Look Home Entertainment. A search of the First Look site reveals that none of the Ventura titles (including Wiseguy) are available.

Bottom line: it appears the 4 Wiseguy DVD sets are out of print. When the current supply available in stores and on the web is gone, retailers will not be able to order more.

Wiseguy deserved better than this.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
StudioWorks was driven out of business?? I knew the WISEGUY disc sales were poor (the last one was reduced in retail price from $60 to $40), but not that severe.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Damn. I procrastinated sending for the two replacement discs on the fourth set. Guess I'll never be able to get them now...

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
StudioWorks supposedly reissued the 4th set with corrected versions of the 2 faulty discs. You might be able to exchange your set with a new one at your local retailer (assuming they still have them in stock) and hope that the new set features the corrected discs.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. That would be worth trying. Couldn't really LOSE, that way...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks