Wisdom teeth removal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Brodin, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Dan Brodin

Dan Brodin Stunt Coordinator

I recently went to the dentist to have my routine every other year checkup and everything checked out fine, but my dentist reccomended I have my wisdom teeth removed. I am not experiencing any pain, but he stated it is better to have it done early before it becomes a problem. I was just curious if anyone can let me know what the procedure is like and if there is a lot of pain experienced afterwards. Also, has anyone gone against the dentists advise and left them in and not experienced any problems later in life?

thanks

-Dan

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Dan, there recently was a thread going about wisdom teeth removals. Take a look at the comments left here.

3. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

It has to depend on the person....when I had mine removed, all four at the same time, my pain was minimal. In fact, I ate a burger that night.

On the other side, I know other people who have been laid up from the pain.

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i had my wisdom teeth removed though i only had the upper set. i really don't remember too much as they totally f*&ked me up with all the gas / iv stuff they pumped into me. i don't recall there being any pain involved, just really groggy for a couple days due to the medication and painkillers they gave me afterwards.

kevin t

5. David-S

David-S Second Unit

Honestly, I think a lot of it depends on the dentist too...

Make sure you go to an oral surgeon who does a lot of them (that was basically all the guy who took mine out did, and i had no problems) while i know people who have been butchered...

Maybe try and get a recommendation from someone from your area?

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

In a few months I am getting a root canal... that oughta be fun [​IMG]
    Rob 'I LOVE PAIN' Lutter [​IMG]

7. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Dan,

I didnt have mine out when I was 18 since I would have been paying to have them out on my own. Now I am 25 and still have them the only problem is that since they are so soft I have 4 cavities. The Dentist said that I could jeep my teeth and get them drilled (all 4 are out) or just yank them and not have any more problems (Bad breath being 1 of them). The first chance that I get I will have them out for sure by an Oral Surgeon who specializes in Wisdom Teeth Extractions.

KyleS

8. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

I got mine taken out a few weeks ago. I didn't experience any pain at all, the medicine I was prescribed was very kick-ass [​IMG] . But the next couple nights I did feel sick sort of. No pain, just felt sick. Threw up a couple times.

9. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    As I said in my other thread, got my uppers out. No pain to speak of. It went fantastic. The weird part was the loss of time I experienced with the anesthetic (sp?).

Good Luck!

10. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Man, I am jealous. All you people with no pain. I had the bottom 2 taken out last August. The procedure itself was great! Nitrous oxide [​IMG] Then the pain set in. I only did advil (4 at a time). Couldn't eat anything solid for about 4 days. Although I never felt sick or anything. Saw Rat Race in the theater that night. I was 30 years old and they say the sooner the better. Go for it. It'll put hair on your chest [​IMG]

11. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

12. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Around five years ago during a cleaning and checkup, the dentist asked me in a surprising manner, "When did you get your wisdom teeth in!?" I said, "Beats me. I didn't know they were there." "You mean you didn't experience any pain as they were coming in?" "Nope."

Maybe I'm just lucky. The assistant was looking through my dental history and noticed the only time I had a cavity or anything was one time when I was seven or so. "You're one of those people who never get cavities or never have teeth problems, aren't you. I hate you people." She said those kinds of people are more prone to gum disease, though. For whatever reason. I've never had a filling or cap or anything at all ever, so maybe it is just dumb luck or genetics.

I still have my wisdom teeth, and they're still fine. I'm not a dentist, but I don't know why there'd be a big rush to take wisdom teeth out if they aren't causing any problems.

13. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Me too, haven't been to a dentist for problems ever, only routine checkups, and that was 1.5 decades ago. All four wisdom teeth grew in with room to spare.

Now is this wisdom tooth extractions 'ritual' only so common in America or everywhere else? How's it in say UK? Or somewhere where dentists don't benefit directly from every procedure?

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, I think it depends on how well a person takes care of his back teeth with brushing and flossing. If the plaque builds up in the back teeth from a lack of flossing/brushing, you get accelerated tooth decay that not only affects your wisdom teeth, but the molars that you use to chew with, so it's not entirely a money making venture, but a preventative health procedure (provided you have good dental coverage).

Having your wisdom teeth out makes it a lot easier to brush and floss the molars and keep them nice and healthy.

15. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

Dan, get 'em out now. When I was 21, I went to a dentist who after taking a full jaw x-ray told me it would be best to get them out. All 4 were impacted and they didn't hurt or bother me at the time, so I ignored him. 2 years later, one of them started to bother me and I went to the oral surgeon. I remember him showing the x-ray he took compared with the one from 2 years previous and basically stating I was an idiot for not getting them sooner. In two years the roots had grown around the nerve and could have been damaged while removing them. It would have been 10 times easier and less painful to have got them out them I was younger. It was kind of neat seeing the before and after, but anyhow after the surgery the percoset made me a very happy man. I watched 2001 5 times in a row the day after and thought it was the best comedy ever made.