Wisdom Teeth Advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredHD, Jun 20, 2002.

1. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

I get my wisdom teeth pulled today(one side). The doctor says it will be a simple extraction. My wisdom teeth came in like regular teeth. Any advise to prevent dry sockets?

2. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Just keep rinsing, and make sure you keep the sockets clean, change the dressing, etc. I had all four out at once, and didn't have a problem.

3. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, one of my four had a dry-socket issue. Wow, talk about pain. They caught it early enough and packed it with a weird mesh (required lot's of numbing-juice). It took a couple of weeks but the bone healed over and eventually the gum filled in. Now it's just a dimple back there.

Be careful about sucking (like using straws). You don't want to pull off anything that's grown... (does that make sense?)

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    No straws, no really hot liquids, do not smoke. If you ask, most likely the dentist will give you a list of things to avoid to prevent dry sockets. I had 7 teeth out a few years ago (all four wisdom teeth and three bicusbids) in order to get braces. I didn't otp for a dentist, though. I wanted full sedation and wisely chose an oral surgeon. Not only was the procedure rather painless (I was asleep) but I only took one painkiller when I got home to help me sleep. I had a slight dull throb for the next few days, but nothing bad enough to warrant the use of any type of painkiller.

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I had all 4 removed at once, they were impacted pretty badly. I was lucky though, they didn't get infected or anything and were fine after a week. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT eat any kind of chips!! those little guys get lodge into those holes and HURT!!!!!! Straws are bad as well. And oh ya, you might have some rank breath for a day or so cuz of the blood, but nothing majour.

6. Clinton McClure

Clint
    Yeah Cam...not being able to brush my teeth for about a week was the worst part of it all. I had dragon breath so bad, even I could smell it. [​IMG]

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

About a week after I had mine out, I went to visit my parents, and my dad says, "(takes the Lord's name in vain), Ryan, have you been brushing your teeth?") I had, but oh boy, was that breath bad...

Once the healing really got moving, it went back to normal.

Oh, and advice? Get the gas. Let 'em knock you out, baby. That's the only way to fly on the wisdom teeth extraction jet...

8. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Oh man, I laughed so hard when they gave me the gas (now count backwards from 10"...."10........"

9. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Gas?!? Oh man, missed out. I did the oral surgeon route, too, and they used a drip on me. Very slow drip to take the edge off... Then a full barrel, say goodnight. Funniest part was as my world was caving in, the doctor said, "Oh, wait! Open your mouth really wide!" He had to put the wedge in and it's easier with my cooperation. I never knew if I helped or not.

10. Chris Rosene

Chris Rosene Second Unit

You guys all missed out. I got all 4 out but took just the local. Its kind of a cool feeling to hear your teeth crunching, seeing blood squirt, and see the dentist's sweat on his brow as he uses all his might to yank them suckers out. Didn't feel a thing, but could sit and watch. The office I was in even had a mirror on the ceiling so you could watch whatever part the dentist wasn't blocking.

11. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

I am glad that I was out for it. One of mine broke into 3 parts. I bet that was fun trying to get out. But, like everyone else said, keep rinsing.

12. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Have fun!

I had my wisdom teeth out a couple of years ago. Everyone I talk to says it's such a terrible, horrible experience, but I thought it was great! You get pumped full of drugs and get to spend the next couple of days just lying around. I had a blast. What could possibly be better?

13. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

Get the Local...it's a blast to see the world suddenly lurch up as your eyes roll back and you are out like a light.
    My Surgeon actually gave me a syrange (sp?) which I could fill with cool water and squirt it around the back teeth to keep the area clean. Talk about feel good!
    Avoid all crunchy/hard food. Live on soup/beans/oatmeal/ice cream. [​IMG]

14. Clinton McClure

Clint