Wisconsin Death Trip - Has Anyone Purchased It?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dane Marvin, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Just released on Tuesday, 2/24, the 2000 documentary "Wisconsin Death Trip", narrated by Ian Holm (The Lord of the Rings, The Sweet Hereafter) was released:

[​IMG]

This film adaptation of Michael Lesy's 1973 book takes a look at the sordid and disturbing underside of life in a small Wisconsin community in the 1890s. In the early 1970s, Lesy discovered a large collection of curious photographs from Black River Falls, Wisconsin, taken near the end of the 19th century, and began doing research on the town in hopes of learning the story behind them.

Lesy was startled by what he learned; over the course of a decade, Black River Falls fell victim to a severe diphtheria epidemic, the local economy collapsed following the shutdown of a mining business, a serial arsonist terrorized the community, a lunatic claiming to act under God's orders held 26 people hostage at the local church, two children murdered a farmer, a number of infants were abandoned or killed, and an undercurrent of violence and madness seemed to taint all aspects of the town's history.

Using both the original photographs and silent recreations staged by director James Marsh (accompanied by narration from Ian Holm), Wisonsin Death Trip attempts to recreate the disturbing qualities of the photos and news clippings that formed the basis of Lesy's book. The film also features an original score by turntablist DJ Shadow

--allmovie.com

I've never had the privilege of seeing this film, but heard about it a couple years ago and have been awaiting the DVD for sometime. Just a couple months ago, a friend who knew nothing about the film checked out the book that inspired the it, peaking my interest again. We were happy to find it would coming out soon. I've read a couple great reviews of the DVD so far:

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=5693
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s1131wisc.html

I'm just wondering if any fellow HTF-ers have picked this up or are planning to do so. Mine is in the mail; the best price I found was at DDD for less than $22 with free shipping ($26 and change at Amazon). Can't wait!

2. Planet_jake

Planet_jake Extra

I am seriously considering it... The fact that I am in Black River Falls practically every weekend and I have never heard about anything like this interests me. Shouldn't let this sway you away from Black River falls though, it's a beautiful town.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It is digitallyOBSESSED.com's spotlight for the week. The review link is above.