Wiring

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel_James, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Daniel_James

Daniel_James Auditioning

My first thread[​IMG] I purchased a big screen, dvd player and receiver/speaker package about 3 years ago when I was in college, now I can afford some higher quality stuff. My new house has an unfinished basement, with a small area (10x12) that I can use for a home theater room. Since the walls are unfinished, the wires should be much easier to install. My question is what "wires" (audio, video, ?) am I going to need? I would like to plan for the future as much as possbile (ie possbility of connecting tv/dvd/receiver/xbox with my pc located in my office). Please keep in mind that the new equipment that I will be purchasing should be able to use most of todays technologies. Thanks in advance.
    Here is some info:
    Home theater room-tv, dvd, receiver, xbox, ps2, in-wall speakers.
    Office-PC (broadband)

2. Daniel_James

Daniel_James Auditioning

Thank you for your 111 views, but no comments.

3. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

Whatever wiring you decide to run in-wall, make sure it's UL rated for in-wall use. I am also in the process of finishing my basement (15x13) into a HT and am using Monster's standard 14AWG/2C Speaker cable to run in the wall to my surrounds. If you go to Crutchfield.com check out the custom install section for cabling.

Other than the type of wire, wiring for additional speakers may be good if you intend to use more than a 5.1 setup in your room. Given it's size however, I wouldn't think you would. Five speakers in a room that size (mine as well) should provide plenty of soundfield around you.

If you plan on having your gear rack out of sight a good idea is to run PVC piping through the walls. That way, especially for future additions, it's easier to fish new cabling through.

Good Luck!
    Bill

4. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

I'm also building and h/t set up in my basement. My questions is running the PVC in the walls. We are using metal studs through out. I plan to run the cables within. Are you suggesting to use the pvc pipe as a conduit for all the cables leading to the components ? Please advise. thanks.

5. Bill Blank

Yes. Using the PVC as a conduit allows for easier additions of future wiring after the walls are up.

No I am not using metal studs, rather wooden ones which makes things a little easier when running the PVC piping.

Bill

6. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply. How would the PVC pipe be placed ? You mentioned in the wall but is that close to the compoent rack ? Are you talking about placing this through or in specific locations ? How about in over the celing titles ? I'm not using drywalled ceiling. Bill, my confusion is getting additional wiring once the walls are up using this PVC pipe method.

7. Bill Blank

The PVC piping idea is assuming the thickness or number of cables you'll be using isn't significant. It has mainly to do with future speaker runs to back or side surrround channels. An example:

My Rotel processor is 7.1, my amp a 5-ch model, and I only have 5 speakers plus sub as of right now. If I thought I might add rear surrounds later down the road, I'd run PVC piping, run the speaker wire (for the speakers I have NOW) through that. In the future all I would have to do is use that existing "tunnel" to run additional speaker wires through to the new locations.

This all assumes that A) Your equip rack and speakers are separated by some distance, and B) That you think you might add-on or upgrade down the road.

By having the PVC in place it would make it unnecessary to fish wire through bare studs etc.

Bill