What's new

Wiring through the Receiver (1 Viewer)

Kevin*Open

Auditioning
Hello everyone, quick question. Why do people route component video wires from their dvd's and other video sources through their receivers then onto to the tv. Why not just go straight from the video source directly to the tv. Thanks in advance!

David Kel

Auditioning
I'm new to all this as well, but I think I can answer your question. From what I've read on other posts people route all components as possible through the receiver primarily for convenience reasons. Routing through the receiver allows you to easily switch between components using just your receiver remote.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
david's right on the money. it's purely a convenience thing.

if you route the video directly to the tv, then you have to change two sources. the video input on the tv, plus the audio input on the receiver.

by routing to the receiver first, you only have to change one source - the audio/video on the receiver. the tv always stays on the aux video input.

essentially, you turn your tv into nothing more than a monitor.

you should also note that some people like to route the video directly to the tv because they feel it will eliminate any signal degredation. you should definitely try it both ways and see for yourself.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Switching two sources ammounts to little more than an extra button push, while looping through the receiver adds additional cost of cables. If you have one source for a given type of connection (component), then there is no reason to involve the receiver.

The ONLY reason to loop through is if you have more than one source of a given type and too few of that type of connection on your TV. The receiver then functions as a switch.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
As other's said convenience,but I have noticed some signal degradation on the s-video out to TV on my HK 520,on the Dish network menu page I can see some slight ghosting,I guess you would call it that,on dark letters on a large off white background,there is a slight "whiter"tracer after the words.Very,very minor,but to a obsessive compulsive like me:D its starting to bug me,I had already turned 1HK back in for this.I'm beginning to think its normal ,due to the many connection changes I have from the dish to the TV.Even with close to perfect connections,some signal will be hurt at every connection point.It does go away when bypassing receiver.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Like neil said- this is covered in the FAQ- which I highly recommend (and specifically recommended at the top of this forum!)

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks