Wiring thoughts!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christo Ramo, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Christo Ramo

Christo Ramo Stunt Coordinator

I am new and would like to say hello to everyone to start!

I currently have one of those home theaters in a box from Kenwood, the VR-309 with DTS. Currently my cable company (Comcast) did not supply me with a coax out on the box but told me that if I got my hands on one it would work. I would imagine they are right but here is my problem. I have a tivo and as much as I would like to have digital sound the tivo will have to have its own sound feed and once I pause or rewind the sound would be out of sync. Is there a way around this? Better yet is there a way to forget about getting the new cable box and buy a digital converter to add right after the sound comes out of the tivo. It would be cool to go from stereo rca's into a converter that made the signal digital and output it through either coax or optical to connect to my reciever. I hope this isnt too confusing - please help!

Regards

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Sorry, but there is no way to synchronize the sound on digital cable with the output of a TiVo. The two will be out of synch even if you do not pause or rewind the broadcast, because TiVo introduces a slight delay before it sends the signal to your TV (that's how it can handle pausing and rewinding).

If you get a digital output from your cable box, you'll have to choose between (a) watching through TiVo, using the analog stereo left and right outputs from TiVo itself, and (b) watching a truly "live" broadcast with digital sound from the cable box -- without TiVo.

3. Christo Ramo

Is there a device to add to the tivo output to achieve dolby digital?

4. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Christo,

No. The best you can do with an analog signal from a TIVO is something like Dolby Pro-Logic II processing.

5. Christo Ramo

I guess I have to wait for tivo to make a digital unit before I can really take advantage of dolby digital. I con't believe they left that out. Thanks for all the quick responses.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Christo Ramo

Yeah - I was looking to have the signal as it comes out of the tive to go into a "converter" that will flip the signal over to dolby digital and run either a coax or optical to my amp. But I understand that it is not going to happen. I have to make a decision of whether I want tivo or dolby digital sound when it is broadcasted. I think I will stay with the tivo and take advantage of the pro logic when it comes along.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer