What's new

Wiring system between two rooms (1 Viewer)

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to lead this thread too much, but I'm in the process of figuring out how to wire my HT system to my two-channel system. I want to be able to play the same music on the first and second floors. Also, I have a DVD-Audios that I want to be able to play downstairs with the DVD player being upstairs.

So, if you had two rooms and the system that I will describe, how would you connect them together?

At this point, I'm trying to decide where the wires will go and whether to put the amps upstairs next to the processor or downstairs next to the speakers.

Upstairs: HT with an Yamaha DSP-A3090 integrated amp running a 5.1 surround set up.
Downstairs: Two-channel using an old Yamaha receiver (until I decide on the 1066 or the 950) connected to two LeAmps connected to two Diva 6.1s.

I know I can do a zone two out to the second receiver and continue using it as a pre/pro (zone two doesn't have volume control in the A3090).

So, what wires do I run from the 2nd to 1st floor? Speaker cable or RCA?

Next, how do I run them? Do I drill a hole horizontally to get the wire outside and run it down the outside trim to the 1st floor and then drill another hole to get it back inside? Or do I try to drill a hole within the wall straight down 12-14 inches in order to snake the wires down the inside of the wall (that has insulation in it already)?

If you can come up with another solution, please share! Otherwise, all comments on the above are welcome. I don't want to get halfway through this 'project' and realize I am approaching it the wrong way.

Oh, and I'm also going to run an S-Video cable from 2nd to 1st in order to have a video monitor sitting downstairs to show what is on TV upstairs (nephew monitoring).

Thanks in advance...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bill,

It’s hard to figure out exactly what it is you want to do. For instance, you said:

Also, I have a DVD-Audios that I want to be able to play downstairs with the DVD player being upstairs.
Do you want the upstairs system feeding the down stairs system, or vice versa? Or do you want each of them to feed both direcions?

Adding to the confusion is that neither of these multi-channel sources is really suitable for multi-room, especially if one of the systems is only stereo.

When you said you wanted to play music on the first and second floors, were you perhaps referring to CDs or radio?

If you can clarify your intentions it will be easier to advise you.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the confusion. In the end, there will only be one source, and as a result, music from upstairs can be played downstairs (or the movie can be seen/heard while downstairs). Right now I have a source on both floors. I only want to have the source up in the HT room.

Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks, Bill, that helps.
There are many ways to accomplish this, but we can eliminate one method right off the bat:
Or do I drill a hole horizontally to get the wire outside and run it down the outside trim to the 1st floor and then drill another hole to get it back inside?
Probably your best bet.
Alternately, if there is some “dead space,” like a closet, directly behind the downstairs location, there may be another way. If you can get the wires from the upstairs equipment directly above the closet (by routing around baseboards, etc.) you could drop them through the upstairs floor and through the ceiling of the closet. From there you could route them in the closet and then go straight through the wall behind the equipment.
Good luck!
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks