What's new

Wiring standards (color codes) (1 Viewer)

ChrisJanikey

Auditioning
I'm wiring my room up now. I've got the wire in the wall and the 5-way connectors and plates. Now I realize I don't know if there is a "correct" way to wire things. I know how to do it so it works, but I'd hate to be scoffed by my better-knowing peers.

So, with the two wire colors (silver & copper), and the two connector colors (black & red), is there a standard I can follow???

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chris,

First, welcome to the Forum!

With that kind of wire I’ve always used copper for positive. Of course, the red binding post is positive.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dave Bertrand

Auditioning
Nope, it doesn't matter which conductor you connect to which terminal. Just make sure the polarity is consistent between the right and left speakers. That is, make sure the connections are the same for both.:emoji_thumbsup:

A fun mnemonic device from 120V power wiring is "Hi Yo Silver"; because Silver was a white horse and the white (neutral) wire goes to the silver terminal on devices. So, make your silver the return, black terminal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks