Wiring speakers - would this work/should I do it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottAndrew, May 23, 2002.

1. ScottAndrew

ScottAndrew Stunt Coordinator

I have an Onkyo CD player, a VR-407 receiver, N38 mains, and a VTF-2 sub. I've noticed that CDs sound somewhat clearer with the receiver in source direct (analog) mode. My sub is connected through the LFE output. But if I have the subwoofer turned on I get the bass through the mains and through the subwoofer. It sounds clean, but just too loud. I want analog mode with the subwoofer but without the double bass.

Could I run a second set of wires from the receiver's B-speaker outputs through the subwoofer's crossover and out to the speakers, and then switch to the B speaker output for music, set the speakers to large, and activate the sub's crossover? Would it damage anything to have wires from the reciever's A and B outputs both going to the same speakers? And would it be worth it?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. ScottAndrew

It's a radioactive question - no one wants to touch it.

Perhaps it would help if I reduce the scope of the question:
    Would it harm my speakers or my receiver to have one set of wires from my A outputs to the speakers, and another set of wires from the B outputs to the subwoofer and then to the same speakers?

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Scott,

Maybe it’s “radioactive” because of this apparently contradicting statement:

4. ScottAndrew

I don't want to use the A and B inputs simultaneously. What I'm contemplating is having two completely different paths, one for movies and one for music.
    For movies - the speakers set to small, subwoofer on, subwoofer connected only via the subwoofer cable.
    For music - the speakers set to large, with the subwoofer in the signal path between the receiver and the speakers, using the speaker's crossover.

But if the second is such a bad option that it outweighs any benefit of using the receiver's analog mode, than perhaps it wouldn't be worth it.
    Scott

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I assumed the reason for this was convenience...?

Aside from adding the sub’s passive crossover to the signal chain when the B outputs are switched in, that doesn’t deliver “two completely different paths“ because the sub’s line-level input will be getting a signal from the receiver whether the A or B path is engaged. Thus in B the sub would be getting both line level and speaker level signals simultaneously .

Which means you will have to go to the sub and disconnect the line input every time you want to use the B configuration. That seems to just as much trouble as manually turning down the sub in A configuration... doesn’t it?

Which brings us to an alternative answer to your original question: If there is too much bass with both the sub and mains running, why not just turn the sub down?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. ScottAndrew

I think I typed in a hurry and perhaps left out or obscured a few details.
    When my receiver is in analog mode with the subwoofer on, it sends all the bass to the speakers and to the subwoofer. That's the "double bass" I was referring to. In order to listen in analog mode and use the subwoofer, I have to get the bass twice. My subwoofer is calibrated but it's volume control can't go any lower.
    In scenario B, instead of unplugging the subwoofer cable I would simply set the speakers to "large" and the subwoofer to "off". That way the sub would get its signal from the speaker-level input.
    So there's A: Speakers set to small, subwoofer gets its signal through the line-level output.
    B: Speakers set to large, subwoofer line-level turned off, speaker signal routed through the sub and its crossover.

In other words, most people do either A or B. I was considering wiring for both and switching, A for movies and B for music.

I'd have to actually try it to see if it's worth it, although it sounds questionable. I was largely just wondering if somehow having the A and B outputs going to the same speakers would blow something up.

Thanks,
    Scott

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne