Wiring speakers for my outside deck...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Go, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Marc Go

Marc Go Agent

Hello. I was hoping to get some assistance in installing a couple of speakers out by my deck. I have an Onkyo 595 receiver that I can use the "B" switch for the outdoor speakers. This will be a spring project for sure!

My questions:

What is the best way to run wire from family room out to the deck (it is right off the family room)? Drill holes in wall, etc? How about tips on "hiding" wire running up the side of the house?

What type of wire to use?

Where to mount speakers? I have an overhang on the roof above the deck to mount under, but this is pretty high up. Will the speakers get "lost" up so high? Any special brackets needed? How are the speakers that mount right on the deck itself?

Can the speakers stay outside year round (here in Northern NJ we get pretty cold winters)?

Off topic, but any suggestions on the best (and most economical) outdoor speakers?

Any other advice or tips?

Thanks.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ask a mod if he can copy this to the DIY forum...you might have better luck there.

i don't know about the wiring techniques.

i believe most manufacturers make some form of "outdoor" speaker that can usually handle extremes in temperature.

a friend has had some AR outdoor speakers hooked up for years and i haven't heard him complain yet. bose makes some pretty popular ones...i think i saw a demo where they even submerged the entire spaker in water!

anyway, the point is i think if the speaker is rated for outdoors and it's a respectable manufacturer, you can expect a pretty bulletproof speaker.

3. Rich Gio

Rich Gio Extra

Hi Mark, I'm From Hackettstown NJ,small world. I ran the wire up behind my siding and mounted my AR speakers to a "lighting block" that mounts under the siding.I bring my speakers in before the first snow.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    If you need to run wire I would use low voltage outdoor cable, the kind that is used to hook-up outdoor fixtures. You can get it in 14 or 12 gauge. 14 should be fine and it will probably run in the neighborhood of $0.25/ft. give or take a little. It usually comes in 50 or 100 ft. lengths but some places sell it loose too. The stuff is made to be buried in the ground and stand up to weather and it will last about 10 years in the ground from my experience. If it is not in contact with the ground the moisture all the time it will likely last longer.