Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Mar 29, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I have had 16g speaker wire for a few months as it was the thickest non-monster I could find on the night I bought my receiver.
    However, my rabbit, who is precious in every other respect... has eaten through it.
    Since I need to replace my wiring, I want to do it right this time.
    So far I've found 14g at radio shack, and there is a store here in Raleigh called "Audio Advice" that wants to sell me twisted pair for $.36/foot or double twisted pair for $.59/foot. The salesman has indicated that both are 14 gauge.
    Since I know nothing about wiring, I'd prefer to get the advice of an HTFer that does than a salesman. What would you suggest?

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Here's what I'm using now, its quite nice:
    Sound King 12 gauge speaker wire
    Hope that link works. Its to partsexpres.com and their 100 ft. rolls of Sound King wire for $30. They've also got other Sound King wire that's in different gauges and length.
    Don't know what to recommend about the rabbit though. If he likes one speaker wire, he might like another.

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm not too worried about Smacky chewing through the next set of wires. Regardless of how "unsightly" they'll be, I plan to run them up the walls and back down to the speakers. I don't think I have much choice in this matter since I have wood floors.

Now from the comments of the guy at "Audio Advice" here in Raleigh, the gauge level isn't all that matters, and 14g twisted pair or double twisted pair would carry better signal than 12g standard. Does this make sense to anyone here? If not, I'll go ahead and order the 12g wire.

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Well the sound king has a high strand count, is very well insulated, and in general seems like a good wire. For the price I don't think you'll find much better. And if there is anything to the twisted pair stuff, I doubt you'll notice the difference.

Also, I've had trouble finding something good enough to cut the sound king wire, so Smacky will probably have some trouble working all the way through it.

6. Troy McHenry

Troy McHenry Extra

I'm originally from Raleigh and if you've never been to AudioAdvice then I suggest you go NOW. Their new location will make you go crazy (on Glenwood Ave, which is essentially 70 East). Ask for Phil Melton (he's my old rep, tell him Troy McHenry sent you) and have him show you around. Until you've sat in a home theater will all Meridian speakers or heard some nice Wilson Audio Sophia's you haven't heard hi-fi. They are the local B&W, Linn, Wilson Audio, Musical Fidelity, Rotel, Arcam, Mark Levinson, Magenplan, Bryston dealer. They have 3 dedicated home theaters from every budget, one has the new Sharp or TI DLP projector.

The company sales some really high-end stuff but also can be down to earth. Don't let all the money in the store scare you. I was there about a month ago, brought some CD's and listened to Linn's Sondek CD12 CD player for fun (20k list price)...alone!

Oh, and about your question about cables, they sell bulk Belden and AudioQuest so they should have what you're looking for and can help you. I used to have a rabbit, I got some stuff called, "Bitter Apple", rubbed it on my cables and never had a problem since then. You may have to reapply it every once and awhile.

7. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

From an Engineer's perspective, by twisted pairing a wire, you reduce its inductance, which will allow higher frequency signals to pass through.

From an Audio Enthusiast's perspective, I have no clue if the differences will be audible enough to warrant the extra cost, but seeing as how the maximum signal that you'll have to worry about is just 22KHz, i don't think twisted pairing the wires will make all that much of a difference.