Wiring Qestion on Denon 4802?? Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Thor, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Jim Thor

Jim Thor Extra

Hello All,,,,,,
    I have a question regarding the Denon 4802.
    My set up;
    Denon dvd3300
    Sony 32 Wega
    Direct Tv (RCA).
    I just bought Bettercables. I have my Dvd running straight to the tv via comp cable. I have my Direct tv receiver going straight to the Tv via s-video.
    I then have a regular rca cable running from the monitor output to the video3 input of the tv.
    What I want is my onsreen menus. As it stands now they come up under video 3 on the tv and my direct tv signal comes up under the dvd. and my dvd signal comes up under something else??.Does it work? Yes. I just wonder if there is a way to view the menus on every screen? Instead of having to go the video 3 screen of the television?
    Anyone, Anyone.
    Thanks Jimmy

2. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jimmy,

Nope, you're stuck. Even the flagships that perform video conversion don't output OSD on the component outs. What you might consider is buying one of the cool little 5" LCD screens and driving that off the 4802's monitor out. I keep mine right on top of the receiver. They're less than $50 and work like a charm. Good luck.

Austin

3. Jim Thor

Jim Thor Extra

Thanks Austin, That is a damn fine idea. It will look awesome.
    Si if I want to view that ocd i always have to go to the video 3? Well, the screen sounds better anyway.
    Its just odd that it is able to display it on the vid 3. However prior to the new cables/hookup it showed up on the dvd signal?

4. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Where can you get one for $50? Please inform me [​IMG]
    I am currently using a 13" TV gonig through my vcr which defeats macrovision, works well but an LCD would get rid of the extra vcr in my rack!

5. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Jim,
    The OSD is going to be available on whatever you have the 4802's "Monitor Out" hooked up to. If it's connected to "VID3" on your TV, that's where it's being output (all the time BTW). You can only see it when you switch your TV to display what's on its VID3 input. One other little gotcha is that the OSD is only available on the 4802's FIRST Monitor Out (either via composite or S-video). The SECOND Monitor Out duplicates the FIRST one except no OSD is output on it. Clear?
    The deal with the little display is that you drive it via the FIRST Monitor Out and only fire it up when you need to make setup changes. Although I must admit the kids get a kick out of watching Chicken Run on the little screen with the audio cranking at full reference - it's really funny!
    James,
    The gizmo is the Gamevue 5.6" LCD. Somebody mentioned using it for OSD on one of the forums in the last week or so. It was available at that time at outpost.com for $49.95 as I recall. Here's the link:
    http://www.outpost.com/product/3137660/
    Austin