wiring options for Polk PSW350 with Yamaha 795 or Onkyo 696

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel TB, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Daniel TB

Daniel TB Extra

I currently own a polk rm6600 setup (tiny satellites with sub) but with the lower priced polk psw250 sub, for use with my yamaha rxv795. I may upgrade at circuit city to the psw350 sub which is bigger and has an LFE output. Polk's manual advises against using this, and instead strongly pushes that you wire the sub through the left and right speaker wires (in between the speakers and the receiver). this is my current setup but I'd like to avoid this wiring mess if possible. FYI my current receiver is a yamaha rxv795 but will likely be upgrading to onkyo 696 very very very soon. Both of these receivers have a fixed crossover of 80hz I believe. I do not have a very good understanding of bass management, do not have a calibration disc, and strongly suspect that my current setup is not calibrated properly at all. HELP!!!!

2. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

the reason Polk wants you to run the speakers off the sub...or say use the line in on the sub is your speakers are using the xover to cut the lower freq. to your speakers. If you dont you will probably end up ruining your speakers cause you will be running frequecies they should not be handeling.....thus using the speaker wires instead of the LFE.. channel.

4. Daniel TB

Daniel TB Extra

so is it fair to say then that no small satellite speaker/sub combo should employ the LFE? I don't understand. I thought that the key difference between wiring through front mains and through the LFE is where the crossover is controlled--either throught the subwoofer's crossover dial or through the receiver's fixed or adjustable crossover settings. So is a crossover at 80hz no good for the tiny speaker? I have to say whenever I see these sat/sub combo's on display at stores, they all use the LFE. Does that mean that they are killing their speakers?

5. Daniel TB

Daniel TB Extra

well i went ahead and upgraded today to the onkyo 696 and the polk psw350 sub, connecting them through the sub out on the receiver. i think it sounds very good on dvd's -- cleaner, more precise and purer than before. hard to say which to attribute the benefit to. and my little satellites haven't exploded. could someone explain more clearly if and how connecting through the LFE output is bad for my sats? because they sound fine to me. the only problem i have is that on cd's i have to turn the volume on the sub way way up, so much so that on dvd's it is way out of line, but i am sure that there is something i am missing on the receiver about this.

6. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

Using the LFE output should have no effect on your sat's. As for the difference in bass between DVD"s and CD's, try setting your subwoofer setting in your receiver's speaker setting menu to BOTH. This fixed this problem on my Yamaha receiver, it might help on yours

7. Derick S

Derick S Auditioning

I have the Polk PSW250. Still in box. Is the wiring setup different on the PSW350? I'm concerned with the recommended wiring that Polk wants me to do. It will look messy and I have purchased a 24 Ft Monster Sub cable that I would not use. If the 350 setup is the same - I think I'll swap out for the small Velodyne. Thoughts?

8. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I'd go with the velodyne... I use them and compared them to the polk subs quite often...and the polks come up very short!
    I have a ct100 and ct150
    btw..I like and run Polk speakers..just not fond of their subs[​IMG]

9. Derick S

Derick S Auditioning

The Velo CT's you mention - do they (Velo) suggest a preferred wiring like the Polks? I want to use my Sub out from receiver and be done with it.
    btw- My System is the RM6200 set (4 sats RM1300'S and center RM1600), Sony STR-DE975 receiver.
    Which Velo would you recommend?

10. Daniel TB

Daniel TB Extra

Derek, the PSW 350 has an LFE input so you are not stuck with Polk's recommended but messy wiring scheme. After uprading to the 350 and using the LFE cable, I noticed significantly better sound (at least to my ear). I use the 6600's, which have a bit more power than your 6200's, so unsure if sound would be comparable. I love the PSW 350 and would highly recommend it.