What's new

Wiring Issues (1 Viewer)

Pat_C

Agent
Well, I'm about to undertake what appears to be (for me anyway) the arduous task of wiring my new home theatre speakers. I confess that I am clueless, but I figure with the help of a few friends, a six-pack, and gritty determination, I'll get the job done.

I have the following components:

53' Inch Ultravision Hitachi RP
Onkyo TXSR-501 Receiver
2 Paradigm v.3 Titans (fronts)
Paradigm CC-170 (center)
2 Paradigm v.3 Atoms (rears)
1 PDR 10' Sub

I'm looking for good, quality wire and the like to hook this up, but I don't want to overpay for stuff I don't need. It is my understanding that the Paradigms can use banana plugs. I assume that these are just "capped" ends of speaker wire, which will plug into the back of the speakers and the reciever. This seems like the easier route for me to go, so:

Can anyone recommend good wire/plugs for my Paradigm system? Thanks in advance.

Rick-S

Agent
Alot of people get 12 ga copper wire on the spool from Home Depo or Lowes. IMHO, this is just as good as the spooled Monster wire and a heck of alot cheaper.
For in wall wire, I purchased a spool of CL rated 14 ga wire from www.partsexpress.com.

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
I paid under a hundred for no name cable. it was sheilded. thats all i was looking for in my cable(12 ga.). it sounds great. i have single banana plugs hooked up.i have friend that spent some money for the higher end, and i can't hear the difference. It is about your pocket book. and if you can hear the difference cause i can't

Pat_C

Agent
Thanks guys. I'll do some measuring and probably swing by Home Depo for the 12 guage.

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
I got this from a web site some time ago.

Distance from Speaker to Amplifier Gauge
Less than 80 feet 16
80 to 200 feet 14
More than 200 feet 12

Personally I use 12 for everything.

Jonathan L

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Pat,

I'd second the Home Depot suggestion. I just picked up a 250' spool of 12 gauge for about $60. Sounds great to these ears :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks