What's new

Wiring In Wall (1 Viewer)

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the process of getting different wall mount speakers for my side surrounds in a 5.1 system. Does anyone have links to any articles regarding how to pull speaker wire behind the walls? My home has drywall over studs and insulation. Also interested in necessary tools and level of expertise to install. I will run the wires along the outside of the wall up to the point on the floor directly below the the proposed location with hopes of going at that point into the wall. Thanks for any suggestions or links. ;)

Jon Musil

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen, your probably going to want to get a "fish tape" to pull wire inside walls, or under carpeting for that matter.

When you say you are going to "run wire along the outside of the wall" do you mean along the floor board of an interior wall?

Depending on where your amp/source is situated you might want to consider making your run thru the attic and down into the wall from above.

WarrenHH

Agent
You might want to post/look in HT Construction, that is where wiring is usually discussed. You can use some narrow wire channel if you want, it basically has adhesive on the back, you cut it to length, put the wire inside the channel and the channel folds shut over the wire and snaps into place. You can paint the channel the same color as the wall if it is not the same color as the channel already.

If you are not familiar with running wire through walls, it can be a real tiger and the channel can be made to look pretty good.

If you are bound and determined to run in the wall, search the HT construction forum, and you will find plenty.

Good luck

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions. I am apprehensive about going into the wall. The cable would be run in the room along the outside of the wall until I got to the location on the floor from where I go up to the speaker location. In regard to the channel to cover the wire, where would you buy this?

WarrenHH

Agent
Try Home depot or Lowes. We buy it commercially in large rolls, but I am sure they have similar in smaller quantities. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks