Wiring in Wall Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_B, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Although I'm a HT newbie, I feel that this is the best forum to discuss this. Be nice, please [​IMG]
    I'm going to be placing HT speakers in a to-be-refurbished family room. Part of the work will involve wallboard replacement. Before the contractor puts up the new walls, I will be wiring the side surrounds for wall mounting. My questions are:
    - Should I use just a contiguous wire for each speaker from beginning (receiver) to end (speaker), or should I break up the wire into 2 segments, where the segments meet at a wall plate, let's say a wall plate with decent binding posts (I've seen this at accessories4less.com)? The binding posts seem like a more finished look versus going directly into the base of the wall from the receiver, but will the signal degrade noticeably due to the extra binding posts connection? Are there other alternatives, besides flat wire that avoids in-wall altogether?
    - Once the wires go into the wall, should I keep the wires in the wall all the way to the surrounds, or will it be more advantageous to use my basement below the floor for the horizontal portion of the routing? There are a lot of electrical wires routed under the floor, so that mode would be a bit challenging to keep the speaker wire away. OTOH, wire maintenance / replacement / addition would appear to be easier if I had access to the wires via the basement.
    Opinions?
    Thanks.
    Doug

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Wayne,
    I appreciate the response. Yes, it seems reasonable just to use a wall plate with one or more holes and do away with multiple segments. I will actually have 4 total wires, as I will wire up for rear surrounds in case I want to go that route down the road. [Who am I kidding? Once I'm bitten by the HT bug, I'll definitely end up with rear surrounds before too long [​IMG]]
    Thanks again.
    Doug

3. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

I also went with the direct wire approach for all my speakers. I used some black split loom to cover the wires from the plate to the speaker in the front and center.
    The surrounds are on shelves and you can't see the wires at all.
    If you go with this method, you can always cut the wire and put the plates in later.