What's new

Wiring for multiple Amp locations (1 Viewer)

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Sorry for the dumb question, but my wiring skills are minimal if anything gets semi-complex.

My brother is finishing his basement, and he's to the wiring stage. There are two locations that he's thinking he might like to put the receiver/amp. Our question is really quite simple - Is it possible to wire each speaker back to two possible amp locations? This would allow him to future proof in case they decide to move from one receiver/amp location to the other. Of course, the receiver/amp will only ever be in a single location at a time.

What would happen if you ran speaker wire a short distance and then basically wire nutted the speaker wire to two speaker wires, each running to one of the possible amp locations? Would something like that work? What does wiring code generally require? Does a wire nut have to be in a box?

Matt

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wiring codes vary by location. There is no code here for low voltage wiring so I could do anything I want. And wire nuts will work just fine.

-Robert

chris.big.money

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Walter
But my question is, why are you using wire nuts, why don't you run two separate wires from the speaker to the two possible receiver locations? I'm afraid you might lose something in the wire-nutting process. The only reason i say this is because i crimped my wires to extend them and i was warned that i would not get optimum quality. I would suggest if you're only using one of the two wires on the receiver end, you either run two separate ones or solder the wires instead of using wire nuts.

Now, if you do use wire nuts, you should probably use a box and run all of them into it (you might need to extend it or use two). Just to be safe in case of all possible codes etc, even though it's low voltage. Plus, it always makes a job look cleaner that way.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Thanks Chris. I suppose that's another good suggestion. You could just run two wires to the binding posts on each speaker (or more likely the binding posts on the plate at the wall location where the speakers will be placed).

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks