Wiring for a HT System

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Kosinski, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Jim Kosinski

Jim Kosinski Auditioning

Mar 30, 2002
    I am currently in the process of finishing my basement. I have given into my wife's request that the ceilings be drywall in lieu of 2x2 grid that would be accessible. So, I need to make sure that I get all the wiring I need before the walls and ceilings are up.

So far, I have pre-wired the following to the location of my HT system:
    - dedicated 120 circuit
    - RG6 coax for subwoofer
    - RG6 coax for cable or satellite (at this time, I only have a antennae in the attic!)
    - right surround, left surround
    - rear right, rear left (for 7.1 system in the future)

In the future, I am leaning toward satellite versus cable.

My questions:
    - Do I need a tele outlet at each future satellite receiver? some people say yes, some say no
    - Should I run RG6 quad shield in lieu of standard RG6 to the HT location?
    - Is a single RG6 sufficient or should I be running multiple?
    - To prepare for the future, should I find come fiber optic cable? Is this overboard?
    - Is there anything else that I am forgetting?

thanks for the help
  2. Jason Kass

Jason Kass Agent

Nov 13, 2001
    I am fairly new to the "real" home theater thing and am just finishing a house where I prewired the great room for a modest home theater. I would look at smarthome.com at their superwire. It is prewrapped bundled wire that includes: (2) cat5, (2) rg6, and (2) fiber optic lines, all for a buck a foot. I ran this stuff from a "home" box in the basement mechanical room to every room in the house and then some, I also ran an extra rg6 in some places where I thought it would help( I figured I would not use the fiber optic yet anyway, but at least I have it in). I also of course ran regular speaker wire to where the speakers would be.
    I hope this helps.
  3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Aug 22, 2000
  4. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

Aug 7, 2001
    I would definitely consider cat-5 cable for future applications. If you wanted a replay tv or something like the Hewlett-Packard combination hard drive/ cd burner for storing music. I am sure we will see more and more integrated devices and it is fairly cheap. Jason
  5. Jeff Theobald

Jeff Theobald Auditioning

Dec 11, 1998
    Looks like you might have overlooked an RG6 for any OTA HDTV in. (1) for sat/cable, (1) for OTA.

If I were doing this, I'd use quad RG6 (like Robert said, maybe just to make me feel better) and I'd consider dropping a conduit to your HT equipment location. Then, if you need to in the future you could just punch a hole in the drywall and pull through any necessary cables.

Its easy to do now before the drywall is up. Later - its a b**ch.