Wiring everything together (DVD, TV, Receiver) - Help!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Darren:Lim, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Darren:Lim

Darren:Lim Auditioning

Hi everybody.
    I'm new to the HT scene. Today, I will be picking up my Denon AVR-2803 receiver and my Monitor Audio Bronze speakers. I will be using these with my existing Samsung DVD player and my Sony Wega tv.

My question is in regards to what I should be using to connect the DVD, Receiver and TV?
    So far, to connect the DVD to the receiver, I've come up with using a S-Video cable for video and a Optical cable for sound.

To connect my TV to the Receiver, I'll be using a S-Video cable coming out of the receiver and into the TV. The sound connection is what is confusing me. I see at the back of the TV (well actually the manual) that there is only one Audio Out, RED and White, so that means that its only analog right? I have to connect this using any plain analog cable from the Audio IN on the receiver to the Audio Out of the TV so that if I'm just watching tv, I'll be pumping the sound out of the MA speakers via the receiver. Does this make sense?

By doing all this, will it ensure the best possible sound/video?

Thanks for your help!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Darren. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]

Here is a rule:

Only run video through the receiver if you have 2 OR MORE of the same connection types

Since you only list a DVD player, just run SVideo straight to the TV. Using the receiver as a switch is kind of silly if you only have 1 source. (There is nothing to switch to - think about it.)

TV:

Most people have a CATV or Satallite receiver or VCR that produces audio. In your case, you have the TV.

Yes, those are ANALOG connections. And you have to use them.

But dont get too upset that you dont have a digital connection. Once you get those speakers/receiver hooked up, I think you will find that network & cable television has rather poor audio quality compared to DVD or even VHS tape. It really does not justify needing a digital connection.

With that television (good one by the way [​IMG]), you might consider getting a HD CATV box or Satallite receiver for HD programming. These usually all come with some type of digital connection for the audio.

Good luck.

3. Darren:Lim

Thanks Bob,
    Its been about a week now and I've just gotten all the wiring for the speakers setup. Everything is plugged in.
    I forgot to mention in my initial post that the reason why I'm running the video through the receiver is that the only way to get the receiver's on-screen display on the TV is if I run the s-video into the tv.

Tried watching The Matrix and was able to test out different modes. However, I have ran into one problem... I can't get the TV's audio through the receiver, only through the TV's own speakers. I've connected the L/R Audio Out from the tv and plugged it back into the L/R Audio In on the receiver (the one marked TV). I'm using some ordinary Audio/Video cable I found but I have just left the yellow connector unplugged.

What do you think I'm doing wrong? I can't see why I can't get TV audio through the receiver.

Any help is appreciated!!!

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Your receiver has "Source" buttons. If you plug sound FROM the tv into an input, you must switch to that input to see the video and hear the audio.

Try plugging the cables from the TV into the "CD" input, then select "CD" on the receiver - you should get sound. (This step is important - it proves your TV outputs sound and your cables work)

Now plug them back into the "TV Input" and select "TV" on the remote.

Note: While the OSD (On Screen Display) is nice, it's actually a pain when things pop-up on the TV every time you adjust volume, change inputs, change DSP modes. You may get tired of it after a while.

5. Darren:Lim

Guess what? It turns out that I had to set an audion option on the TV to turn off the tv speaker. Once I did that, I got the audio through the receiver.

Whoo-hoo!