What's new
World Wide Stereo

Wiring and Crossover questions (1 Viewer)

Lektrikon

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Ramos
Hey all,

I recently purchased an entry level Sony home theater system (HT-DDW790). I removed the supplied Front speakers in order to use my Pioneer S-H252B-K 8" speakers (3 way). I have had these for a number of years and they really thumped with my old Kenwood stereo receiver. After banging my head against a wall, I found out that despite the fact that the receiver is capable of pumping enough wattage to the speakers, it was incapable of directing bass frequencies to the larger speakers. I believe I have found the solution in Sony's 5.1 STR-DH500, as among the settings, I can choose "large speakers" for the two front channels.

So I have two questions:

1) Will the built in crossovers on the Pioneer speakers properly direct the appropriate frequencies to the mids and tweeters, or simply give me the bass I am looking for?

2) The STR-DH500 has an RCA jack for the subwoofer as opposed to spring terminals. Can I wire the existing subwoofer to the RCA jack on the receiver (via some hand wiring) without distortion or feedback?

I'm a tightwad and I really want to keep this a budget home theater until I can afford to really sink some cash into it.

Thanks in advance.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Since the sub has spring clips it should be a passive sub. But they call it "powered". You can't connect a "sub
out" to a passive sub. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but I wouldn't try and mix & match different speakers and a receiver with a htib speaker set. You're just looking for trouble.

This is why htib's aren't very popular around here. You're basically stuck with what you get. Very little flexability. Lots of head banging
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinman11201
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale